Saturday, July 25, 2015

Fire!


I'm smack dab in the middle of a holiday weekend it's a far spent pretty good as far as these things go. 24 July is a major Utah holiday – – kind of like founders day for the state of Utah. The actual day was celebrated yesterday but because local population wanted to make the most of it is also being celebrated today by a number of morning Pioneer breakfasts. I've been threatening to go last couple years. The breakfast is held up the local Mormon ward house. It is free and pretty much a neighborhood event.. Local population of the neighborhood are the only ones really go an occasional transplants from out-of-state who may not know better. Actually, aside from all the Mormon overlay is not a bad way to meet the neighborhood but beware it's also a way for locals to get the foot in the door open it up for missionaries and other Mormon traditions.

The 24 July holiday The relatively minor holiday unless you live in Utah. Last night, because I have to go to bed early because of my need to have others assist me I listened to the explosions of the nighttime fireworks well into the midnight hour. It's amazing the length neighborhoods go to celebrate these type of events. Dianne and I watched movies and got to bed. I was surprised how quiet the neighborhood was yesterday I guess most of the neighborhood works for Gentile employers and do not get the day off. It felt like a holiday to me but maybe that's because I wanted it to feel like holiday. We did Hassan excitement neighborhood when all of a sudden a big yell fire engine came zooming down the street silent just running lights and parked Itself down at the cul-de-sac at the end of our street. I hardly know anyone down there so it's always weird when I roll their. But I did go down to see what was going on and there was a fire behind the houses between the houses and the TraX line. It was entertaining watching the fire guys rush around pull out their hoses run through the neighborhood actually run through people's backyards in order to access the fire. It was a little surreal sort of like a movie. The postman was on his rounds he continued to deliver his mail regardless of what was happening around him. He would walk up to a house put the mail in the box then negotiate himself over and around fire hoses bleeding water, surging toward the nozzle. I was entertained as the fireman frantically searched for then tried to hook up hosesTo the fire hydrant in the cul-de-sac. The firemen first took off both caps off the hydrant and dirty rusty water gushed out onto the pavement. That happened for about a minute or two for the firemen figured out they had to turn the water off and then hook up the hoses go to work. The process is pretty straightforward and soon big old hoses filled with water snaked all over the cul-de-sac the neighborhood. It was kind of fun, did not take the guys long to suppress the fire and no property was hurt that we could see. No one knows, at least I don't know what happened or how the fire started. As I acknowledged earlierthe day had been a very quiet . I hadn't heard any fireworks, or firecrackers at all so I don't think it was firework related. I saw a lot of smoke as they put out the fire but no flames and I guess that's cool. They were soon finished and gone. The end of the excitement of the day.

Later during the day I went over to my brother's home and he fixed my power chair which has some issues. It was great spending time with my brother as he worked on my chair.



No comments: