Saturday, July 11, 2015

This Is All For Me :-)

Blog July 11, 2015 – – Saturday
Yesterday I alluded to the fact that I had discontinued my physical therapy regimen, this means that I will no longer be going over to sugarhouse rehabilitation where I have been going the past couple of months for physical therapy well since February when I had my stenosis operation. I have to admit physical therapy has done me a lot of good more so than I would've imagined and I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of not going to physical therapy at least twice week.

Following a stenosis operation in February my left side or my upper left side was very weak as result of the operation to remove the stenosis. You know it's weird but I didn't realize it was the operation I thought it was because I was laying in bed for a couple weeks before I really started getting back up and living my life. I thought the disuse of my arm had been the reason but no it was actually the operation. So I started sending physical therapy and trying to get back what I lost. Before the operation I had been able to fully dressed myself – – I must admit it was more of a challenge towards the end of spasticity got worse. I could transfer on and off the toilet and in and out of the shower. I was essentially independent. I cooked I washed dishes regularly, I could just about do anything I really wanted to do or need to do. The point of the physical therapy was for me to gain strength and relearn concept/technique and transferring and become as independent as possible.

I've not been to physical therapy in over 48 years which is a long time for me. I came to physical therapy now with a vengeance to get back my independence. I was astounded how difficult this is going to be. But we started first three days a week Monday with you Friday. That did not last long since my insurance only provided 12 visits. At that point time my physical therapist what the bat for me and she enlighten me regarding SB 400, a Utah piece of legislation that provides physical therapy and other medical needs to people who are financially challenged. I am one of those now talk about throwback. I got a bunch of visits true I was no longer going three days a week at the end only two days a week but even that was okay it was more physical therapy attention that I'd gotten for decades. But now that has come to an end at least for now. With the new fiscal year I have to meet my deductibles which is fairly high so I cannot are will not pay $35 a visit that would take to get my 12 visits of physical therapy. Dianne and I have come to the conclusion to limit what medical intervention I needed this point until 1 August when I will begin my life under Medicare. This is a whole other realm of weirdness. Dianne has assured me this will be a good thing in some ways better than what I am already using. I had to cancel my visit with Dr. Daly, my neurosurgeon in late July until August to see if I need more surgical intervention.


So I'm done with physical therapy I have to force myself to make sure that I continue my home therapy workouts i.e. pumping my Saratoga summer and doing the elastic bands these are things I can do these are things I have control of these are things that will help me until I can get a better physical therapy workout. I have to set up that machine I purchased a few months ago which will allow me to do physical things to help my muscles especially ones I use for transfers. So I have a full plate going to have to do it all myself that's okay that's the way it should this is all for me.

No comments: