Monday, April 15, 2019

I S P



Image result for Idaho State penitentiary


I'm a member of this Facebook group, is that how you say it? You know, a group of like-minded individuals all promoting the same idea in this particular group focuses on Boise, Idaho history and specifically images of old-time Boise. This weekend the moderator and host of this Facebook group put up a number of images of the Idaho State penitentiary. I hadn't thought of Idaho State penitentiary in a long time. In fact is a little disjointed because I couldn't quite remember where the facility was which is weird because I grew up knowing exactly where the penitentiary was. The penitentiary is in South Boise down by the river. It seems like we used to go close to it when we go on our hikes up to the Table Rock. The luckily because of groups like “History of Boise Idaho 1863 to the Present” I was able to orient myself to know exactly where the old place was. I did further searches in a macabre sort of way I don't know of macabre is the right word may be voyeuristic might be more accurate.

Idaho State penitentiary, of course has its own website and it's very complex. I was kind of amazed. I don't know why the website shocked me as much as it did but there it was out in open for anyone to explore not only the prison itself but the inmates, their names, their offenses, the sentences and even their prison numbers. Having this much information at my fingertips my mind even twisted further on to see if my friend/acquaintance Bruce was listed. (For more information on my friend Bruce type in the name in the search box in the upper left-hand corner of this page. You'll see two or three postings regarding Bruce. But there he was, not only his name, his offense, his sentence even when he would come up for paroles in such. Maybe I just want to How strange is that? Is coming up for first option for parole in for five years somewhere in the 2020s. I'm sure eventually he will cycle through the system and end up back in the community. Strange. I know when I visited with my one friend who was as close to Bruce as some folks can ever could get in he had pretty much written Bruce off which she gave me permission to do the same which I guess I did. But for some reason today as I thought about the information I and covered this weekend. The website even gave the address and information on how to send letters into the inmates of the facility. I could do that I know how important this would be in the long run. It's a little scary for me to do to be honest but I think that what happened if it'd been me, I had in a moment of passion made a horrible horrible mistake and suffer the consequence of incarceration? I mean I somewhat feel forgotten now as things go by people who like me what if all these people chose to hate me for the bad choices that I made? I'm not trying to justify anything I'm just saying it would just be hard to be a non-thought to be totally invalid.

So I'm thinking about it. Maybe I'll write a post card since that's the best written “currency” in the penal system. In will be the consequences? I don't know. But it's something I keep coming back tofor one reason or another. Maybe I just want no if I have the social kahuna's pull something like that off…


No comments: