Friday, April 19, 2019

Halt and Catch Fire



Image result for compact computers suitcase\
I wish I were smarter. I really do. It seems the whole life I'm trying to catch up I'm never going to be smart enough. Sadly, it's just the way the dice were thrown in the numbers came up the way they did. I mean there was never a chance for me either way. I used to believe that if I had stayed in my birth family, my blood family I probably would've been more of a success but that would not of been the case I can almost guarantee that. I got the best roll the dice that I got. And maybe, that's the way it was supposed to be. I think, that I was happy just to get by, I did want to be noticed I was happy with being average. That's all I wanted was to be buried in the middle and not rise to any kind of notability.

I first real exposure to computers was in college in a math class where the professor drag us all over to the business building and we sat in front of a computer and played with Fortran and early computer language based on mathematics particularly for business and computing. These are the big machines of the old days that took Compu cards you had to format through this giant typing machine. The mathematical concepts scare the hell out of me but I loved the machine aspect and interfacing with the computer as much as I was able. I never learned enough computer stuff where I should've to really make a difference on the systems I would be faced with in my life. When the assignments of that math class was to write a computer program. I muddle through a program to search for prime twins which totally blew me away the whole concept of prime twins. I loved it not enough to really understand it from the mathematical standpoint but I sure would love to have that ability.

Tom Stamm, a married friend of mine early on was enamored with the Apple computer way back in the 70s in Boise Idaho. Only the most robust nerds in those days messed with computers. They were the diehards they are the ones who would be the pioneers of what was the calm. I marveled at what Mr. Stamm was able to do. Later on in Blackfoot Idaho I was exposed to my buddy Dave Allen was also my boss was also enamored with computers and Dave got one of the first Texas Instruments/TI computer maven the TI 1000 I don't really remember. But Dave sure went town on the whole concept. Once again, I just marveled, he learned programming, he actually got computers into the company we work with. I tried to learn basic but that never went anywhere.

When I went to work at the Independent living center when I moved to Salt Lake my best friend and coworker was Kim who really was the major computer had in my life. He brought our office onto computers. Somehow, Kim wrote a grant or maybe Deborah and Kim did I don't know but they were able to small computers made by Compaq called the Compaq Portable I called them the suitcase. They were the computer with a handle that could be closed up and was truly portable the first of its kind. I love those little computers with the green screen. I don't know how lucky I was that is able to get one of the computers in my office which I begin to use on a daily basis to write with. It's unbelievable. Today I rarely type with my hands I dictate straight to the computer and it's written down. I can get by most the time with the computer and fix a lot of the problems that I run into without having to call my son Mark Anthony are even Kim if it's really bad. He still around in fact he was still at the Independent living center. His office is like a computer Museum. A bench under some of that pile of materials he has all over his office is the first Compaq portable. I envy Kim I wish I was smarter…

No comments: