Thursday, April 25, 2019

I Wanna New Gig



I've always liked the word gig. Not necessarily how the word is used to describe digital memory like a gig of memory but more as the colloquial definition a small or minor piece of occupation. Probably synonymous with part-time job but even less formal. I know National Public Radio has done a number of pieces recently on the gig economy. Individuals who must or have taking on short-term/part-time pieces of work in order to make ends meet or to keep oneself occupied.

I have just come to the realization that I need a gig, not necessarily because I need money, who doesn't need money? I mean after all I am self-pay as far as my attendant care goes which is completely ridiculous I'm so thankful I can afford to pay for attendant care and still maintain a fairly decent lifestyle for what it is. In fact I got paperwork today , forms that I must fill out to take advantage of the renters rebate program offered to the federal government. It's going be a pain in the butt to fill out that I'm sure worth it if I can throw it in the account as buffer for continued debt.

I have to be careful that if I do get a gig that that has to stay within certain parameters in order not to count against my subsidized housing. It seems to me and I'm pretty sure this is the case that if for example I really get a gig of say working at the movie theater I've written about. Let's just say that I got 15 or 20 hours a week at five dollars an hour so a extra $400 a month maybe. I think I can use this funding to spend down on my medical needs which having to use attendant care it's certainly be one of them. So essentially I could spend an entire pile of money for my monthly attendant care needs this is certainly increase my income significantly. Even for a couple months this would certainly help out over the year. In college for example when I was living at the dorms I often got gigs working at the basketball gymnasium next door to our dorm. During basketball games are concerts the often used student “employees” for concessions as well as security. I would often get this security gig during the concerts which basically meant I would sit by the back door, which was locked anyway, and just sit there and get paid for it. I think I get paid 30 $40 for that shift. Other gigs I've had included making hotdogs for football games at the University I attended. Selling scrap metal and for a short while barn busting which I thought was a great gig.

I'm really now trying to find another gig which it help me out and not necessarily like I said that I need the money just want to have something to do to keep me focused and maybe out of the apartments and doing something productive. Perhaps when I spend more time on campus this summer I can apply for some of these “spot” jobs and see just see if I get myself a gig or two…

No comments: