Thursday, April 04, 2019

Springs Beauty



There's nothing so beautiful as a day in spring and a dumpster, fully loaded. The past couple of days have been truly spring days overcast, wet and downright chilly even though the temperature seemed to rise above 50°. however, today is perfect. A slight breeze and essentially a clear sky the blazing sun warming the ambient temperature to 60 some ° Thursday morning makes it serve a busy morning as I try to get things squared away before I run down to the common room for coffee with some of the other folks here at the apartment complex. Later on I'm going to the library of course for bookclub so in the meantime I like to pick up a little bit and make sure the apartments okay so when I get home after bookclub I can enjoy the evening. So with the excitement of the coming day I went out to check how the early morning felt. As I rolled past the dumpster I noticed some window shades sticking out and under those blinds was what looked to be a perfectly good garbage can. What was even better was that the garbage can would be fully accessible to me using a grand hook. I quickly returned to my apartment, I had to be quick I did not want one of the other old rascals in the complex beating me to this find. Came back swooped the end of my stick under the wastebasket and freed the plastic container from the dumpster. And slapped on the front of the waste basket was a handwritten note “FREE”. So somewhere this container had sat open to scrutiny and was denied therefore this was meant for me.

In another life I could easily been a garbageman and when I say “garbageman” I don't mean the burly guy riding on the side of the garbage truck stopping every few feet to throw in the refuse of the street. I mean the person who goes out and sees treasures in other people's garbage and collects those treasures. I've written about a little of this before in my post on salvage… I'll have to go back and check some of my postings from early on as I know I've posted a few things. I mean who doesn't pick up something on the side of the road when you're driving and you see a perfectly good chair, pot or pan of who knows what else catches one's eye. Yesterday, though it's not quite the same, I purchased a lever operated paper cutter you know the kind, there always seems to be one in the copy room at major businesses. Anyway now that I have this piece of equipment I'm going to step up my searching for discarded card stock that I can use for the production of my bookmarks. Heavy bond paper with at least one side clear that I can cut up to bookmark size pieces to draw on. It's what I do. But I could've done this full-time and even had a little shop where the stuff was sold but I'd much rather just find the treasure and recycle it.

But today I found treasure in the dumpster, I've looked for a trash receptacle just like this for a couple of years now. I could have purchased one but I figured if I waited long enough who knows will show up on a beautiful spring day?

No comments: