Wednesday, April 24, 2019

No No Mr. Busman




I just got passed by UTA bus, I know the guy saw me but I can't know that for totally sure cuz my back was to the bus I was running to get to the bus stop. I was almost there. So yes my back was to the bus but the bus was turning from Redwood Road onto 4700 S. I was flailing my arms to signal to the driver that I wanted that bus. I bet I was less than 30 feet from the formal bus stop but the big old beast just swooshed past me. I mean I was in this big old power chair cruising as fast as I can toward the bus stop the driver have to be pretty obtuse to not realize I wanted that coach.

I mean what can you do? I just sat there feeling humiliated and used. But, I wanted revenge which I know is somewhat juvenile. I would like to say my actions were led by an ultra stick vision of fair and safe treatment to all transit users like me to know what ? I just wanted to be a prick.I dug in my backpack grabbed by cell phone called Utah transit Authority Infoline and soon I was talking to Geraldine. Good old Geraldine customer service rep whose job was to handle pissed off callers about issues on the transit system. I wasn't going to explode on this person, it's certainly not her fault it is her job to handle the calls come in. It is a hard job I know I've had that job myself in various positions I've worked. However I did let her know what it happened and I was able to let her know in depth and not yell at her. I let her know that I probably knew the driver and I really did want to get him or her in trouble but I still want him or her to know you can't treat people like they did to me this morning. Geraldine of course is a good company gal and she began to justify the drivers actions by indicating that I was not exactly at the bus stop and therefore the driver didn't know if I really want a ride or not. That's the company line right out of the driver's manual and I know that – – but, to Geraldine's credit she also indicated that my mad flailing arms and driving chair to the bus stop should've and no doubt did alert the driver that I wanted a bus ride.

Geraldine was honest with me indicating that probably nothing much was going to happen except that a notification will be made to the drivers jacket, the jacket is like the drivers file folder containing things like citations and complaints. I know it will probably be nothing more than a mere irritation to this individual in his or her life at the Corporation but the call is still there and most likely always will be. I also know know this driver might be a friend of mine cuz I take the 47 a lot when you get to know these drivers over time and you cannot help but building some kind of a bond. Still, and I'm not altruistic but I know if this driver is doing this to me here she is doing it to somebody else and that's not right. Route 47 is a pretty good route the best part about Route 47 is that it's got 15 minute headways during the day which means is a bus every 15 minutes. A day like today sunshiny and warm, I built an extra hour into my travel time to get to my meeting I did not mind waiting another 15 minutes. However, the father you get from downtown the more sporadic the headways get. If I'm out in Sandy or some other almost rural area the buses come maybe once an hour sometimes even less but if you miss that bus by your waiting a long time, even on a good day like today that weight seems to take forever it's only worse in the rain, snow or dark. No one should have to wait if they don't have to just because the driver doesn't want to stop…

No comments: