Monday, April 22, 2019

Paradise Lost



Once again my older brother came to my rescue the other day when he came over to the apartment to fix an item on my power chair – – actually, he came to restore my backup chair by cannibalized a piece of it for my regular chair. I got the part and replaced the original. Anyway, he brought a small box of photographs and documents that he thought I might enjoy. Is absolutely right I will enjoy these documents. I particularly like the old black and white photographs. Many of which I already had copies are copies of copies which ended up in my family photo albums my mom painstakingly put together for us children. I cannot believe the monumental work that mom must've had to do to put these volumes together. Even though I have, as I've said, photocopies of these photographs it's nice to have the originals to make it clean scan onto the hard drive.

Carl brought the images over on a Saturday and I really didn't get to look at them and tell Sunday afternoon when I spent a little time going through the box. I love boxes of treasures like this. What I found very valuable with these images is they are intact. My mother, bless her heart took a lot of images of us kids growing up. They must've been boxes and boxes of these images. As I indicated earlier she made albums for us kids. Sadly however and it totally drives me crazy is that she also took great efforts in cutting out individual images of these photographs so that each album was specific to that individual. What I really love about images that have not been cut up is that you can see lots of background and see lots of your old world before progress erased everything. So excited that some of these images escaped my mother's shares.

Image I've shown at the top of this blog is one of my favorite pictures of my brother Carl. In many ways he's my hero for all the reasons I've written about over the last couple years. Carl's always there to save me when he can. Carl is here photographed on his Allstate motorcycle which I used to think was so cool. I thought Carl was so cool. In those days he was the total heartthrob. He had that wild teenager look. Carl's always immaculate in his appearance. This image was taking just south of our house on Bergeson Street in Boise Idaho on a little farm. Behind Carl you can see the Hudson hornet, it was a brown fastback automobile that I really kind of like for some reason I thought looked kind of like a spaceship. Even further behind that you can see the foothills of the Boise Hills. I love that view and I love those hills. I love images that capture history this is a picture that captures a huge part of who I am little brother of a great guy brought up in Boise Idaho on a little farm with a picket fence and a Hudson hornet. At a time when the world for me was almost perfect…

No comments: