Sunday, April 21, 2019

Happy Easter




With the discovery of my biological family, last summer, I've really been doing a lot of thinking about family and about history, personal history, my history. Interestingly, my family history is a little bit different than most in that the family I count as family came about through merger and adoption. Fascinating you think about it. It seems natural to me just as my adoptive family feels natural to me. Forever they've been all I've ever known in the area family. I guess the new family, the biological family probably is how a person who comes into a family from the outside feels about their new adoptive family but not me, it's the other way around.

Yesterday I was going through some files trying to find one of my favorite Easter images and I found one similar to what I wanted but not the one that I was looking for. The image I was looking for was taken the same day more than 60 years ago. Images taken in my yard on Latah Street in Boise Idaho. We lived in a big old green shade house which I really loved. The people in the image of course in my family. My two older sisters, my two older brothers and me decked out in their Easter best with their Easter baskets. I'm probably not supposed to remember but I swear I do remember the baskets had the traditional green type grass stuff with candy Easter eggs. I of course was delighted with my basket and burn through my allotment of candy quickly. In fact I am sure that I was pretty will finished by the time we were posing for Easter family pictures. The image that I wanted to show was one where I was actually digging into my older brothers basket (the one I'm standing right next to) and he was getting quite annoyed as most territorial over his supply.I was getting quite panicky and actually begin to get that feeling of “is this all there is” a feeling that would prompt me probably for the rest of my days. My oldest adoptive brother is not in this image he is well off on his own, live in his own life at this point. And of course the four younger siblings had not yet come into the picture. I was the baby of the family and I was quite adorable… This is information that I've gotten over the years. The two sisters Fay and Irene for my first guardians which I say with a wink and a nod. When mom and dad were courting I was often dumped with the girls would have to take care of me. They say I was a brat and I was spoiled which is probably true after all I was the baby of the family, what a great place to be. One of my friends who saw the image indicated that a like spanking from Our Gang Comedies (that classic series of spanking our gang would seem to be on every Saturday television in the 50s and 60s. These images were taken right before this group kind split up. I sure miss that time when we're altogether for the last few months or years.…

No comments: