Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Pony Boy


Image result for my little pony images
The rain was not torrential but it was raining and the rain was cold, kind of, but not enough that it would keep me away from my Assist, Inc. meeting scheduled this morning to be at the officespace downtown Salt Lake. This morning, like I do most Tuesday mornings, at 8 AM I make the call to my buddy David who runs the meeting at Assist, Inc. We are what's referred to as the Citizen Advisory Board. I've referenced this group before in this mighty blog and it is our responsibility to authorize the use of funds to be used in the repair of folks homes, who qualify, in the Salt Lake County area. In full disclosure David did give me an out by saying that if I thought the rain was too significant I could elect to not to attend and he would go to Plan B, whatever Plan B is. We did not have to find out what Plan B was because I showed up to the meeting.

I decided take my heavy hoodie. I like this jacket makes me look menacing and a little mysterious. I did not put it on however electing to drape the garment over my legs. I was wearing my heavy black sleeved tee and I decided the temperature was not cold enough to merit struggling into the hoodie. It would serve me better keeping the water off my legs. Will this plan lasted long enough to get me out to the bus stop outside my apartment complex where I took my hoodie wrapped it around my shoulders and down my back with the hood over my head. I bring your arms around my head and tie them in the not under my chin allowing me to snuggle into the hoodies cotton whatever fabric. It does feel nice. I tried something else this morning differing from my usual Tuesday routine, when I go inbound, rather than drive my chair pass the park to the bus stop I jumped on 217 which passes right past our back gate and swings into their community college or 47 comes through and I can catch the bus there. Today would be a good day to do this plan to stay out of the rain and it worked! True, accessing the 217 necessitates an extra bus trip but keeps me out of the rain and less wear and tear on my backside having to cross all those seams between the sidewalk squares.

Funny how just normal transit from point A to point B totally impresses able-bodied folks. It wasn't that big a deal, a few raindrops on my head, a little chill discomfort but nothing is better than entering a warm dry bus or light rail coach. I dally here and I dally there along the way, I pass through the city library and check out the new used books deciding that there's nothing I need on the book trucks today, knowing I will regret passing up this volume or that collection or that book on disc. But the truth is I can only pack so much into a backpack.

My friend Lori texted me this morning early and I did not notice but she one get together with our writer friend for lunch. This is before the 8 AM phone call that I was going to make and I felt pretty sure that we were going to have our weekly meeting. But I thought I let her know that I would meet up with them if my meeting was canceled.. Lori went back to bed and I knew that she didn't fully understand my message and to be clear I probably was less than clear on my message because later I noticed a number of text messages (again that I did not know I had received) inquiring whether I was going to make lunch or not. I would have liked to have met up with the crew at the Village Inn today. I went straight home following my meeting downtown. No taking myself out to lunch at my favorite Tocco Time on State Street or the IMC hospital cafeteria. I didn't even stop to use the restroom anywhere along the way. This pony had to go home…


No comments: