Tuesday, April 02, 2019

Making My Bed




I love Gail – – my cleaning person – – but she just can only do so much in the time that I have her here. She's been coming over two hours about every two weeks or twice a month however that works out. I don't know if I'm expecting too much for a two hour gig. However for the most part I'm pleased that our arrangement. I'm trying my best not to compare with Cindy the last cleaning person that I worked with. It's not fair still I think it's human nature.

I love coming home after the cleaning person has been here and see everything straightened up and cleaned. Just like takes a weight off my shoulders. Sadly, I have not been getting that feeling with Gail. Possibly because I've elected to stay here while she's cleaning and in many cases assisting in the process. I got the idea from my home health person Dana, who hired Gail after me and this extremely pleased with her work but Dana works right beside Gail at her home so they work together. So I am going to give that a shot. And still I have to remember that I'm getting a great deal at $15 an hour.

It's kind of a shame, for one reason or another, I was never forced to make my bed every morning or clean my room. Mom tried and she tried but I think she finally just gave up. My bed was very seldom made in the room was clean maybe twice a year when mom cannot stand the chaos and the longer. I just got by. Then after the accident I wasn't forced to do anything except go to school and graduate. This last year I don't know why but I've started making my bed every day. Actually I kind of started when I was still at the house in Murray after the second stenosis. One morning I just thought why not? And I made my bed and then the next day I did the same thing. Well, it didn't look like a Marine's bed or an army guys bed I'm sure but the blankets were straightened and somewhat even. And I started again last seven or eight months. Perhaps it was the home health girls/people who would make my bed as they waited for the suppository to take effect. Dana did it every day she was here because she needed somewhere to sit actually and sleep while the process was going on. And so on the interim days when she was not here I've been making my bed and you know what I feel a lot better when the beds made. Not only from the way the bed looks but the way the bed receives me at the end of the day. This is weird stuff but I think it's true. Coming home to a made bed and picked up room just feels good. I've also started vacuuming the floors when I get the vacuum to work right. And what does all this have to do with Dana and Gail? The point is it really isn't the cleaning person's job to make the apartment of immaculate (though it's a great idea) I can take an active role in keeping my living environment clean. I can be an assist to my cleaning person. I can keep the dishes done up, the bed made the floor somewhat picked up and try to keep the table cleaned. Now my work areas is another challenge and one that my cleaning folks don't get involved in because they say… It's mine and I have to take care of it myself. However I do reflect on the past and Cindy actually did straighten up my work areas and made it look very nice which encouraged me to be more creative but maybe that's what the extra five bucks buys me.

No comments: