Friday, September 09, 2005

Back Once Again

My buddy Andrew, at the retreat--image taken without flash--this offers Andrew xome anonmity.
Office staff waiting to be used.

Council folks listening to Dr. Chapmsan

I am back from the office retreat safe and sound! That great break of office routine designed to clear the office are and help refocus the directions and goals of staff and leadership. I am housed with an office of the state which servers folks with disabilities. We have a huge council made up of consumers, now referred to as Self Advocates. This retreat is for them the Council. The retreat is a two-day event with lodging for Council members and staff. I am considered staff and am expected to attend. The retreat this year was held in Park City a touristy ski town located about 45 minutes east of the city, up the canyon in the mountains. The retreat was actually held at the National Abilities Center (NAC). NAC is a facility dedicated to providing recreational programming o folks with disabilities. The do all the exy crip stuff, stuff able bodies love to see crips doing i.e. downhill skiing, horse back riding and hand cycling to name a few of the offerings. The have developed a beautiful environment and have a beautiful conference center and lodging facility which is accessible to wheelchair using folks—more or less.



I have been to this place numerous times, I should know where NAC is—I do know where it I but I got lost. It was like the whole world shifted. I even had a Mapquest but it did not help. It showed the wrong directions. I should have driven on instinct but I tried to follow the map which led to two hours of frustration and having to ask 5 people for directions. I got there almost 45 minutes late! I felt stupid.

The conference went OK till bed time. I explain used to go conferences all the time both national and local. I never had problems with transfers, getting into bed and into the shower etc. I went to bed about 10:30. This means I got undressed and wanted to get into the bed. I brought my power chair right uip next to the bed but I just could not make the transfer! I was even using my sliding board. Mid you I was doing thjis in the dark because I could turn the light on above the bed because the switch was out of reach. Each time I got the board under my butt and start the “jump” the board would slide out and almost put me on the floor. THEN, when I did get my hip on the bed I could not get my legs on the bed. It took me another hour to figure out how to swing my legs on the bed. I finally managed my legs up on the bed then the sheets were tuck in so tight I could just barely slide my legs in. I was exhausted by then, hot and I just laid there praying for a sleep which would not come. The time was now 12:30, two hours after I began the process. The beds was so small and hard I just flopped round a much as I could sleeping just a little. Then in the morning I struggled getting out of the bed. Then the show was another entire trip which I am too tired to outline here. I made it though, eventually even getting to my first session on time. I just cannot do it any more. I am going to have to start taking my wife as my attendant. This is a giant step or loss of my personal independence. I may just have to rethink everything.

No comments: