Thursday, September 22, 2005


I am tired and frustrated. Today my legs and feet are my enemy. Actually I think my whole body is my enemy, but different parts take turns different days of the week. TODAY my feet and maybe my legs are ganging up on me to make living in public difficult. Legs are heavy, I don’t know if you have every appreciated jus how heavy legs are; like if you sawed off your lengthen had to pick up the severed limb and hop say from you bed to the shower and back you would soon realize this sucker is pretty heavy. Now, imagine you have most of you hand function gone, you’re sitting down and you have to lift up you leg, balance that leg on your other leg long enough to try to put on sock on your exposed foot. This you are trying to do with only trunk balance since when you broke your neck you lost most of your ability to sit upright with out supports of one sort or another. Some mornings are better then other, but the last couple of morning have been more challenging then other. I digress the point is today my feet just will not cooperate with me.
I went to a local Mexican restaurant for lunch. I came back to my office and as I transferred from my power wheelchair to my manual wheelchair for the for the rest of the work day my foot spasmed and left me with one shoe on and one off. I was so bummed at that point I said “hell with it” I will slip the shoe on before I head out tonight for my train ride home. The temps have warmed up a bit near 80 degrees—I should stuff my shoes in the backpack and just go sock footed. If I was barefooted I most likely would not push my exposed feet on the transit public but socks are, for the most part, socially acceptable. The only problem that for me having socked feet makes my feet have no traction what so ever on the foot plate. Any spasms and I would have my feet flying out in front of me and me maybe even me sliding out of my Jazzy! So, I’ll have to grab my hook and hook my pant leg, pull my pant leg up over my other leg so I can reach my foot and slide my shoe back on. I then hope my shoes will stay on when I transfer back into my Jazzy to make my trip home. If my legs flip one or both shoes off then I have to repeat the whole process this time out of my Jazzy a more difficult procedure. So, today my feet or the enemy. I can live with that. I would rather wrestle my feet then have my legs amputated. I have heard of crips who have elected such a procedure in order to make life more simple. Whap off 40 or so pounds below the waist and I’ll bet there is a lot things which become more easy to do but the cost is high.

I must apologize I was a week ahead of my self regarding the circus coming to town B&B Ringling Bros will be in town next week with elephants and zebras and lions OH NO!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
riptideselkie said...

Bodies can be tough. every time it gets cold i end up limping about for the first week cause an arch i damaged forever ago always hurts when it first gets cold. ahh well. least i always know when winter is coming around and can prepare. love you, hope the days get better.