Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Discomfort of Change

The Discomfort of Change or the Bump in My Summer Road

My Partner here at the office has been going through some major transition issues with the new “front desk” person. Age differences, poor job description issues and even possible some race issues , I believe, all have had parts to play with the turf battle which has been ongoing now for three or four months. So far I have been able to remain comfortably distant from “ground zero”. I just listen nod my head and give advice when and if advice is called for. Bottom line there has been an executive director in place and Is ere this her territory. How ever that executive director is so short not she is all but invisible with her last day being next Monday. Each day the director has been less and less in the office. Essentially the director is but marking time at this point. The Interim director is beginning to take hold and beginning to flex her muscles. Well, my partner is no dummy. She all about hostile work environment, harassment and even discrimination . My partner knows how to document and how to make a case in front the EEOC if she has to.
My partner has cornered the Interim director a number of times making her case this morning being one of those times. Not long after the meeting my partner and interim director(ID) wound up in my office with a plan for more funding that our office must initiate my next month. This is OK, I understand the need for an office like mine to make sure our funding issues are covered first and foremost. However, the plan described. I know is going to cause all kinds of fur to fly in this small office.

Now the ID may or may not end up being the permanent the Executive Director of this office either way I am ok. She is a personal friend of mine, we share a lot of the same ideas as far as services and programs for people with disabilities. She is global, she is a great idea person but sometimes lacks the focus needed to bring great ideas to fruition. I worry a little the new relationship we are currently forging may be damaged in “heat of creation” but as ”they” say she is the boss and I will start culling numbers and data and putting together charts and diagrams showing how great this is office is what we can do for “you” the ubiquitous “you”. I will put together a presentation I can take “on th road’ to those directors whose operation’s contract out with our little I&R. I am sure the end result will be major opportunities for personal growth and, really, what’s wrong with that?

So, in all honesty I am feeling just a little bit threatened. I will survive, I always do. I know the discomfort of change is fleeting and (in many cases) necessary for growth. I know that I have been through the cauldron enough times…I was just hoping for less heat this summer of my fifty-fifth year.

No comments: