Monday, July 17, 2006

Well it has started

Well, it has started. The Interim Director(ID) has taken the reigns and the changes are beginning. We had an extended staff meeting this morning to start ironing out then issues this small office is experiencing. There was some good suggestions and some interesting suggestions. I just kept repeating my work mantra :’Bend grasshopper, bend in the winds of change regardless of how brisk the winds might be.” You know how you listen for things—even if you aren’t listening for things? The item which sort of jumped out at me among the many items which was hopping round the discussion floor was the ID would be going over Job descriptions! What does this mean?? I sensed immediate red flares. We just finished our Annual Reviews and we will be doing them again. We labored, for what seemed hours just on who is going to answer the phones and when lunch hours well be. I bent in that wind but I am watching the weather closely so I can keep abreast of what fronts might blow in.

I donot know why but people seem to tell me everything even if I do not wish to hear it. What I have heard so far there maybe a conspiracy going on “right here in River city”. I am torn the ID is a personal friend of mine—so are the conspirators. If I donot say anything does that make me a conspirator by association or default. Hey, I just want a job, a T-1 connection and a view of the dumpster…oh yeah and benefits. It seems there is one “player’ in the office who seems to be an inflammatory point to office folk and some folk on the “outside” Of course when we had the staff meeting to bring out these issues and address them the employee who seems to be a major part of the problem is out of the office for possibly the week.( This is a clear example of why I don’t take vacation anymore then I have to. It’s too easy to get killed in the crossfire when you are not even at work. What’s really weird is this person is busy scurrying round the community agitating the Council against the ID…nothing good is going to come from this. I get dark feelings.

Then one of my fellow employees drops by the office and goes on and on about how my facial expressions during Staff Meeting were hilarious and how I better watch out or these expressions are going to get into a world of hurt. I am not sure what the person was talking about but I have better watch myself. I know myself enough to know I can have a pretty vicious cynical side if I let myself go. I checked this out with my immediate partner in the next office and one I trust probably more then anyone else and she said thought I was OK and indicated the other is a bit of a trouble maker anyway. Still, I had better keep my wits about me.
We are officially in the triple digits according to my Weatherbug thermometer in the corner of my computer…101 degrees but seem like the heat inside is just getting started.

1 comment:

riptideselkie said...

wow, it's scary how alike we are sometimes. Well, hang in there. I know you'll make it.
Hugs from the daughter