Thursday, July 13, 2006

Scam or Shake Down, You Decide

Scam or Shake Down You Decide

Yesterday morning I was minding my own business and I get this call from some officer so and so  from the  Salt Lake Sheriff’s office! Took me off guard, after all this is the cops, you always want to hear what THEY have to say. Who ever the caller was he had a very authorative voice and launched into a song and dance about there were raising funds to purchase school clothes for kids. It took  a couple seconds to register that the call was a solicitory  ( I am just making up words every where) call. which is actually against the law to do to State workers.  In fact I usually just hang up on the caller once I realize they are just grubbing for money. The caller actually asked for $200.00 ( to be sure they got the kid everything the kids needs for school).  I finally broke in and said all I could, possibly do is $50.00 which the caller “jumped” on.  I asked the caller who I should make the check out to.  The caller gave me the name but no address. I was waiting for the address when the caller advised me not to worry about the address they would be round to collect the check.  I thought this weird when he said this but I just accepted it. Later as I mulled over the incident I began to think it odd—unless they did not have an address to and it too.  The more I pondered the call the weirder it seemed. I have discussed the call with two workers here in the office and they both think the thing is a scam. I do not know the incident just feels weird.
$50.00!  Fifty buckroos is a lot of money. I am sure the  cause is great but what is wrong with the D.I. or Salvation Army—it’s where I go. Seriously, I would have hung up on the scammer if I were not so intimidated.  I even called the sheriff’s office this morning and they did not know anything about the operation. The officer I spoke with said there maybe project their auxiliary group might be running but I did not have the time to follow up with them. I think it odd that the auxiliary would not notify the regular operation what they were up to.

What was even stranger in the course of twenty minutes after the call from the sheriff’s office I got two more calls from two more private non-profit agencies asking for money!  My name must have been sold to some list of some kind.

Now I have to figure out what I do if “they” show up for their check..  My partner here says tell them I just cannot do it. I don’t have the funds. My other workmate says just tell them “I rethought the situation and have decided against making the donation.” I don’t owe them an explanation . I don’t owe them anything.  They were out of line doing the phone thing anyway. I donot even think they are legit and if they are legit they run their operation in the “shade”.

No comments: