Thursday, March 06, 2014

Just A Little Program Eval...

It seems I am per-occupied with change—I do not know how many times I have written about my life and how much change in my life just upsets the hell out of me. Luckily, this post is about change but not about change in my life, well not so much as I perceive the change will have a direct impact on me. I been going to a program offered by my MD called wellness. Wellness is a great program on the surface. It is a weight training, physical conditioning, strengthening program for people with people with disabilities. It aimed at keeping people with disabilities in the best condition possible in the hopes of keeping us well and out of the doc's office. I am trying real hard at keeping my caustic cynical side from coming out. I will try to reign my emotions in.

Wellness doe not even begin in the day until 3:00 pm. Wellness I held in the outpatient physical therapy unit of a major teaching hospital. The P.T. Unit likes to keep it therapists busy which means money for the organization. I guess after three the “real” P.T. Clients begin to thin out and what administrator likes to see money making space sit idle? So someone conceived the Wellness program. A program which actually sucks SCI's (Spinal Cord Injuries) but into the medical system after the SCI has been rehabilitated. Actually the program is great , Wellness has done me wonders. The program cost a couple hundred bucks to start—money for the evaluation to see where the client is at and where to start the wellness training out, or what the client might want to improve. Me, I wanted to increase my upper body strength to assist me in my transfers and other facets of my life. Once the evaluation is complete you can com to Wellness, use the equipment and staff which consists of a master's level trainer and a couple of P.T. Aids. Personal supports, ire. family members of friends are encouraged to be trained in basic PT assists help with the clients when needed. The monthly fee for the program, following the evaluation is $35.00. I think 35.00 is a deal...right now.

I kind of think the P.T. Administrators did not think Wellness was really going to amount to much, sort of like the public transit folks did when they started opening their vehicles to chair users and other disabilities. Surprise lots and lots of folks with disabilities have taken to the Wellness concept—even the program is not open till after 3:OO PM. In fact the program has done so well they are moving us from the area we now occupy- to medical clinic down stair and I don't know where the clinic is headed. CHANGE!!

Yesterday I was at Wellness—about 30 minutes before Wellness. The wellness director a really nice kid, the masters trainer I mention earlier was covering phones. Some “outward bound” type came up and launched I to a weird conversation regarding an evaluation she has been contracted to do to gather information to see how”we” can make the Wellness program better. The trainer was all ears and compliant-- I could tell this was the first discussion she has had on his topic. I heard a lot of phrases like “ the good of the program” “I don't want to spend any more then two days squiring information” oh and best of all “we would like to interview a couple of customer...just to get their perspective.” At this point both heads were turned my way as the trainer said “he uses the program weekly” and the contractor just smiled and said “we'll be talking.” I smiled and responded accordingly. CHANGE IS COMING TO WELLNESS. I can just feel it. I especially feel for the training because they are going to take the trainers program and “modify” it to make the program better. CHANGE


My Saratoga Silver was shipped day before yesterday, a machine which is exactly like the one I use at Wellness. I can now do , maybe, the most beneficial aspect of the Wellness program. I really do like having access to real life trainer types but I could get by and I will get by even if I have to kiss Wellness good bye.

No comments: