Sunday, March 02, 2014

Sunday Night Serenity

Blog March 02,2014

Its Sunday, the first Sunday of the month and that means it time for me to write letters. Currently I am writing two of my grand daughters and daughter,who live in Salem Oregon. I have yet to meet these two in the flesh. Luckily I have been able to see and visit with them over the phone and through the miracle of the INTERNET. I like writing to them or anyone on a regular basis. I started with my mom in the last years of her life when she lived in another state, then I wrote to friend who ended up in a long term care facility in North Carolina. I like the way writing on a schedule sort of disciplines me-- and kinda makes look like a nice guy. I am not a not a nice guy but the merits of my personality is fodder for another post.

I noted in my letter to Michelle that I still was having the Sunday afternoon anxiety I would experience when I worked full time. I now pleasantly dismiss the thoughts remembering I am retired and do not have to sweat the monday morning trauma. Fortunately for me I have a volunteer position at 211 where I answer phones every Monday for an eight hour shift. Granted an hour shift Monday morning may feel like work but it is not. I love getting up early with somewhere to be; going to the coffee shop, catching the bus and then the train and rolling the two blocks to my building. I love the opportunities I have to communicate with all the people on the way into work then with the folk at my office. These people are genuinely glad to see me. I choose to be there, and they know that I choose to be there. Whats more I can pretty much leave when I want or need too. I do not have to meet any quotas or attend any trainings and best of all have my performance evaluated. I just show up. I now enjoy my Sunday nights and even look forward to Monday and week to come.



No comments: