Monday, September 08, 2014

Just One Of The Indians


I haven't been back. I'm so shallow I cannot believe it. Remember earlier this summer or late spring? Gosh, maybe it was last summer when I stopped volunteering every day of the workweek at 211? I was going to volunteer somewhere where closer to home and I sort of focused on the Murray Senior Center which is a few blocks away from my house and that really never happened. Oh they want me to volunteer they would use my skills, a little bit I have, but they didn't want me there at the facility. I mean I don't think they were discriminating against me per se they just didn't want another staff type person there was a volunteer. They pretty much wanted me to use by computer skills to operate their Facebook account from my home. I knew that would not work for a host of reasons. Looking back now I realize I needed a place to go, a way to get out a way to feel like I was still working. Thank goodness I worked beyond that point. I am enjoying my retirement now more than I had been. I still think I would not be at against a volunteer position at someplace like the local senior center but it's not worth all the drama I sensed there would be at this one. But I haven't been back. Which is sort of sad because I think the place offers a lot of great options for seniors in the way of classes and activities. I probably do need to revisit this issue. This revisitation is going to happen sooner than I anticipated.


Very close friend of mine, someone I met via my last work assignment number of years ago, is living with his wife and assisted living apartment not far from my house here in Murray Utah. He's a good guy, he is to be quite active in the local jazz scene is probably my closest affiliation with someone who really was from the beat generation . My friends had a rough go of it as he is entered in the last phase of his life. His wife has Alzheimer's disease but she still living at home with my friend. My friend is on oxygen tethered to bring oxygen tanks that are delivered to his apartment every couple days like milk. My buddy is maybe 10 years older that I am still independent totally in control of his life. I know he's got a fairly strong friend network or at least I think he does but I worry about him in the socialization. Seriously, I have no place to speak when it comes to socialization but I'm still trying to keep social with my friends and he is one I've elected to do this with. Anyway, I'll talk with him a few weeks ago actually couple months ago as well and I suggested maybe he should take part in the local senior center. If nothing else he could at least get a hot meal or a prepared meal if he were to go there over lunch. They might have something you might enjoy as well. So I told him when everyone to check out the place I'd be happy to go down there with him just so he wouldn't have to do it by himself. Fortunately, I have a friend who is in the management of the senior center who is going to give my friend and his wife and tour of the facility tomorrow and I'm going to join in. This should be fun. I'm kind of excited about seeing the place with “new eyes”, eyes of the consumer eyes of someone who wants to possibly involve myself center has to give. Maybe take a class, attend their movie of the week event on Mondays just see what they have to offer again. I don't need to be a chief I need to be an Indian.

No comments: