Friday, September 05, 2014

Open Channel D Relay


Click on image

I have yammered on before about one of the boards I continue to sit on which is the advisory board for Assist, Inc., one of the best things about sitting on this board is that the Assist office is directly across from the Salt Lake City Library. My meeting doesn't start till 11 o'clock so I usually get in that area about 930 or 10 and I like to spend what time I do have wandering through the library. I've been impressed with their multimedia section and that how many DVDs and collections of television shows the library has access to and thereby I have access to. I found out a couple months ago when I came across a couple seasons of X-Files.I love this show and I thought I would love seeing the whole season back to back without commercials what I neglected to think through was that this was a commitment of hours and hours sitting in front of the screen watching these great shows. Well I got through a number of seasons but it was difficult. So I have also watched with much less enthusiasm a number of other television shows I have been interested in but I have stopped short of checking out the DVDs to take home and watch that was until a few weeks ago when I was checking some of the titles and ran across a number of seasons of the Man from UNCLE . There been a number of shows I have been interested in seeing over the last couple decades and I've been surprised that they have not surfaced in syndication in one of these series was the Man from UNCLE and now here it was. I thought about getting the DVDs for about a week and then I did it. Last week I checked out the collection.

I have been proud of myself and not UNCLE binged. In fact it is taken us more than a week to watching one whole DVD, and there are three shows on each DVD. I suppose that's a good thing but it sure can take a while for us to get through that season one. I have to admit I'm amazed at how primitive these early shows are and I can't believe how I was so infatuated with this series but boy, was I. I had even forgotten the show is filmed in black and white the first year or so of its existence. We have sat through about three or four episodes now and I have to admit to show even with its primitive nature is growing on me again. At first I think I was justifying how cool was to see all the locale shots of New York in the early 60s. It's great New York is really still pretty grungy at that period of time. It's also fascinating to see how many, now famous, stars – personalities were on some of these early television series. On the third episode of the first UNCLE William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy were in the same episode how strange is that.?


So I have a guilty pleasure and am going to watch all of this first series, I don't know if I'll do any of the other series of this show are others that are available at the public library but I'm just amazed at the ability to do so… And to finally come again to a series that meant so much in my adolescent life.

No comments: