Sunday, September 28, 2014

Volunteer Fund Raiser

I did the first day of the fall fundraiser Friday and it was a pretty good experience all things being
equal. I was not really sure what to expect I just figured I would show up and they would show me
what to do. I want to get there earlier than I did I did up taking the bus and getting to the station about
half an hour before I was supposed to start work. I had wanted to get up to the hospital and grab a quick
lunch then get back to the station but then I just hope that they would be provisions, food, for
volunteers.
I was kind of surprised to find that the Eccles broadcast center is not serviced by public transit
fortunately for me I found that there was a form of public transit, University transit that did get me
close enough to the station. Actually, the O zone drops me off right there at the station. This is actually
great during the week. I exit the tracks at the hospital stop and the ozone picks me up right there and
takes me to the station. The major drawback is this convenience does not run on the weekends – – how
stupid is that?
So I got to the station and there was a “ Nurse Ratchet” type person at the desk who directed me here
directed me there and had me sit with a small but growing group of people whom I assumed were
volunteers also. No one made eye contact directly but we sized each other up. Besides a lady with a tattoo there is another old guy like myself who have a look on his left arm instead of hand. He looked angry self absorbed some alighted want to visit with readily. We did not have to wait long before our handler came out and got us. Allison, a cute little Korean individual elicited a quiet supremacy which made you know she was in charge and she knew what she was doing. She led us to our call room. There was about seven of us there. Allison gave us a quick overview which they called a training then set us on the phone's. I was surprised the phones were old square desk type with buttons on the front. The phones had a primitive switching system for a headset but essentially you had to leave the phone off the hook until you're ready take a call then you'd put the phone on the hook hopefully the phone would ring and you take the call. Truly, I was surprised that this operation so primitive.

I was working the two to 5 o'clock shift and once the show started I was surprised at how few calls were coming in which means that I hardly got any chance to answer the phone so when my phone didn't ring I sounded very poor. I wish I could've gotten more action got my presentation down better but maybe another time. The call room looks south west over Salt Lake Valley with a really nice view. You could see storms happening over the valley all afternoon. It took three calls all toll and Allison had help me through each call because the technology was not what I needed to make the calls or to do the calls. But that's cool enjoyed my time on the phones that afternoon. I would enjoy getting to know the rest of the other volunteers. There's where docs and some good guys throw good guys, were just volunteers and I know how that goes that's all I do anymore is volunteer and that's all right by me.

I was scheduled to work the next day Saturday, from in o'clock to 12 but a huge storms come in and end with no Saturday or Sunday shuttle service I decided I'd stay home and everyone was okay with that.

No comments: