Thursday, September 25, 2014

Something Strange This Way Comes



Over the years I've gone from hating the PBS semiannual fundraising extravaganzas, those moments minutes seemingly hours of commercial infringement upon my PBS viewing to the point where I swear times I would stop watching public television altogether but of course had her fall through and that's what they expect. Well I have gone from bad to some form toleration and just cutting my viewing time, and listening time because it has the radio to down significantly. It accidents when I started listening to WNYC out of New York City because they did not run their fundraising time the same time our local station in Sadr bypassed that whole event for a couple years until they all went to the same time periods. So the last couple years especially as I started winding down for my work experience I thought why maybe I should volunteer to be one of the folks on the phones during the PBS fundraiser. But I never followed through until this fall. I haven't mentioned my interest in this quest to Dianne Mooney immediately supported me in the idea of volunteering for a couple shifts see if I liked the work. So I did.

So I made the call, I asked the coordinator just how accessible building was and he assured me the place was all accessible, next asked about public transit when she was less sure about that was okay I could understand that so I decided, since I had a day before my first shift, I would go over to the broadcast house after we had the farewell breakfast with Brooks. I was pleased to find after a little skulduggery and persistence that I would be able to get to the broadcast house on weekdays with little or no problem and that would be straight off University Tracks. I was pleased. Now because I've done more and around the had anticipated and I is not charged my chair is deeply as I should've the night before I felt the need to find some power to suck in for a little bit. I had the shuttle dropping off at University medical Center and I went to the cafeteria of a small bowl soup and some crackers and found a plug-in. Actually searched for a plug-in after a one to find a place out-of-the-way where I wouldn't bug anybody and more importantly people and not bug me .


I'm just amazed at how well University medical Center hides their outlets. I was driving down hallways I've never gone down before. As I was passing one I look out the window opened up onto an outside yard there was an interesting site. There is a huge red and white cloth covered Quonset hunt it took me a second to realize this was some kind of a M*A*S*H unit. There are all kinds of personnel setting up this display our training module or whatever it was, they were red helmets with D R T course which meant Disaster Response Team. These guys were slick– – they looked like they knew what they were doing. And then for some reason what I thought were sleeping bags stretched out on the side of the tents I realized my horror is body bags! Don't know why but it kind of did. Maybes because a lot of attention Ebola has had on the world stage of late but it made me feel like these guys are getting ready for some big they knew something that I…

No comments: