Monday, June 29, 2015

Nothing Stays The Same




I should've realized something was going on earlier this spring when a new building project developed on State Street and about 5300 S. Here in Murray Utah. A few days after construction began assign pop-up indicating this be the home of a new Starbucks coffee. I thought it was a bit pretentious to have to Starbucks less than a mile from each other but I didn't for a second think they are going to take away my Starbucks, by my bus stop. Quite frankly, I'm shocked at how much this blatantly capitalistic move has moved me. I mean I am almost as ashamed to go into Starbucks purchase a four dollars cup of coffee as I am to go to Sam's club or other big-box store and see the opulence and quantity of goods for sale. I've only amazed or at seeing the shopping carts stacked high and deep.

I was at my old bus stop last week when I noted for the first time all the Starbucks identification had been removed from the coffee shop.I instantly knew what had happened but I rolled over to the front door anyway where I saw one of the staff coming out. She of course informed me that the Starbucks had closed down and that in a day or so the new Starbucks at 53rd will open its doors. She seemed genuinely excited at the prospect of working in a brand-new building. Again what are the main reasons I even went to the Starbucks was primarily to get out of the cold but I would catch the bus to work on cold winter mornings. It was a fun place to be 6:30 AM on a cold workday morning. People were nice and he seemed genuinely pleased to see me whenever I would show up – – maybe not as genuineness at the liquor store but there was a comrade in the building. I vowed I would not go to the new Starbucks.


I was out test riding my new power chair Saturday. I jumped the bus gunned down the mall at 5300 S. and State Street. It was during this period that I remember the new Starbucks and indeed it was open so I figured this was not so much about breakage of a vow as it was reconnaissance, gathering Intel. So I wandered through Barnes & Noble, the big electronics store and eventually snuck in the Starbucks. I was kind of hoping to run into something wonderful like a Willy Wonka on caffeine or something out of Harry Potter. What I got was something more like a sterile version of Clockwork Orange .Everything from the drive-through on the north end of the building to the multiple cash registers at checkout to the large windows All around the building everything was designed to make money. Easy access/flow meant more people in and more people out as fast as you can go. Though there are still places a set at far into the building and I'm sure the whole thing is Wi-Fi friendly which is not the old building, the place I liked maybe even loved. The old Starbucks had been a Pizza Hut at the beginning at least 20 some years ago. After Pizza Hut had abandoned the property it was a couple other places I can't remember now until Starbucks took over the building. It's not like the property was dark inside but it was darker than what there is now on 53rd, the place was cozy felt like a good place to be early in the morning or late at night with a cup coffee. They had nights when they hosted poetry slams, music venues usually some folk guitar strummer Or something else fun. I'm sure it'll try to do this at the new Starbucks but I just can't see it taking off I can't see the new Starbucks being a place where you just want to hang out. I ordered a nice coffee while I was there, I still have money in my gold card. I was shocked and amazed when old guy who looked about my age came and looked around and said he loved the place. I couldn't believe my ears I just turned on my chair and slowly backed away.

No comments: