Saturday, June 06, 2015

Paradise Lost



Thursday I was on my way home from physical therapy and Wellness doing my long wait at Murray Central– – This is what UTA calls their transfer point at 5300 S. in Salt Lake County. Murray Central is where I connect with route 201 and travel southbound on State and gets me a couple blocks from the house. During the day route 201 runs one hour headways, you got it, that means that bus runs once an hour. Invariably it seems I have to wait at least 30 minutes if not 45 which can seem a long time in the dead of winter or the heat of summer. In either case I have to wait and many times with other folks. Many times Murray Central is not a very happy stop. People are hungry, tired, cold/hot unhappy for any reason that people who ride buses generally are. I'm usually tired by the time I get to Murray Central and want to have as little contact with human beings as possible. I know this sounds pretty callous but that is how I feel at this time of day which is okay because usually everyone else feels the same.


This Thursday however there was a mother daughter team sitting on the curb waiting for the bus. I think, I know, the daughter was developmentally disabled and sort of had a suspicion that mom was too from their conversation. They were also trying to engage other transit patrons into conversations. Sort of like Forrest Gump takes the 201×2. Luckily for me I must've been too intimidating since they never got around to asking my name or how come I had to use a wheelchair. However, I did listen to their conversation was a little bit intrigued. They were trying to get to a credit union one that I was not familiar with. They never said what they wanted to do at the credit union but I suspect it had something to do with either cashing a check or checking something about their account. They did not seem to know where the credit union was just that through 201 should get them to Credit union or close. Was kind of hoping one of the other travelers would pick up and helped them out but that didn't seem to be happening. Just for the fun of it I took the credit union's name and read through the search engine on my cell phone sure enough the credit union did exist but I couldn't see one very close to any of the stops on State Street in 201. There happened to be the credit union by that name in the Murray area not far from our bus stop but quite a ways if you're on foot, there actually looking for specific credit union further south and the only one I found one in that area was way out of their way in no way would Walker's be able to make By the time the credit union would close. I should of got involved, I should've helped them with directions, maybe let them use my phone to make a call make sure where they were going. I didn't I was too tired. I did not do what Jesus would do our would've done. I talk a big talk about helping wanting to be involved doing good but I don't take a golden opportunity when it's laid before me I'm such a joke.

No comments: