Sunday, June 14, 2015

Summer Project





The hot days are beginning for what the computer weather forecast is saying Will be the begin the onset of at least a week with temperatures either in the high 80s or 90s it's going to be hot that's great for me I like the hot weather. I know, I've gone over that a number of times in the past in this blog. However this summer I want to take much more advantage of my time in retirement, time here at the house and hopefully a rebuild of my fence, more specifically the gate which leads to the back patio.

My goal this summer is to sunbathe nude as I can as much as I can on the patio in the back of the house. After much examination and checking I have found one small piece of territory in my yard which will allow me to sunbathe nude without being seen by neighbors. Space is very limited but gets great afternoon sun and if I have A gate that's closable I should have the privacy I need to keep me out of court. There used to be a gate which closed to the back patio , but 20 years that we've lived here the gate has broken Almost disappeared. Only half the gate remains which needs shoring up and the other side of the gate is gone completely. I've pretty much given up the idea of the gate ever be repaired during my lifetime but this last week my daughter Bridget – – who has been very encouraging of me in my shop project of making sticks – – and indicated an interest in repairing the gate, not her husband Gabriel, but she and I working together rebuilding the gate.


I of course I threw out immediate roadblocks to such a project. I know my skills, I know my abilities and building things wich actually function is not one of them. That is why I pretty much limit myself to sticks or hooks. This I know I can do and do fairly well and not Live under the illusion that I am some kind of a woodworking genius. However, I must admit I was impressed with the amount of work projected this last week and cleaning out a part of the garage and help me fix the sander I dropped earlier this spring and very much bent out of shape. The work took us a good four or five hours but we managed to get the sander operational and we sanded down two sticks ready for turning. This past week I went out and looked at the gate, the portion of the gate that need to be shorn up and the gate we would have to do completely rebuild. We even have most of the materials we need for such project in the back. I think we'll need some technical input on how to remove the bolts in the post that needs the new gate but that should be fairly easy. I know, I should really know better than to even try to do something like this but Bridge has given me faith that perhaps with her tenacity and my limited skills and then as Bridget says, “we can always get Gabe to fix anything we mess up.

No comments: