Monday, November 23, 2015

Thanksgiving Week


It's Thanksgiving week with temperatures dropped. It feels like Thanksgiving, it feels like storms are coming, turkeys are being purchased and thawed And being kept in the fridge until Thursday morning early. Pumpkin pies will be made and relish dishes With celery sticks, carrot sticks black olives and whatever else goes on a well filled out relish tray. Dough will be mixed, raised and formed into roles on that special day. And real butter will be used. Folding tables we brought up from the basement for the kids table.


It's a short week, this holiday week, I think one of the things I miss most being retired is looking forward to holiday. Weekdays when you feel you should be at work But because of the holiday you're not. You stay up late the night before, sleep in if you don't have to cook the dinner, and just hang out with family and friends. Thanksgiving in particular is stretched itself is a holiday from Thursday to now Friday making Thanksgiving major holiday event. It's amazing how luxurious that extra day of the Holiday Can feel. Quite frankly I'm amazed how many private nonprofit businesses shut down completely on the Friday after Thanksgiving. I still sore get a feeling of the holiday week. Like today I went in to Wellness Folks were all talking about what they were going to do or where they were going to go for Thanksgiving. Since Wellness is a state government program i.e. part of the University of Utah, they will be closing early Wednesday before Thanksgiving and will not reopen again until the following Monday. So no workout on Thursday or Friday. I guess I cannot fault them for wanting holiday – – who doesn't want a holiday? Even I want holiday and I'm retired . Hopefully I will see some of these folks again on my Wednesday workout. A couple of course will be leaving or traveling on Wednesday and will not make it in. That's cool because it's not that big a deal. It's just that holiday thing that reminds me that it is a holiday week.

Seems the days are going quickly, each day in the much closer to the surgery. Surgery is slated now for December 14 which means like three weeks to the cut date. I have been dreading this whole thing particularly fearful of how the surgery will leave me. Cannot say that I am scared just concerned. However over the past couple weeks I've noticed my level of spasticity is increasing. My ability to sleep is truly impact of as well as my mobility. However not as bad as before the last surgery spasms are getting quite challenging.. I guess what I'm building up to is that in a funny way I'm looking forward to the surgery if in fact that surgery will calm my spasticity is not rid myself of it entirely. I know there will be a trade-off I hope to trade-off is not so severe that I cannot deal with that trade-off. However, if it means a better quality life than I'm all for it.


Have to admit I'm kind of excited to be in this holiday week.

No comments: