Tuesday, June 28, 2016

I See Dead Things


I don't do dead things well. Simple as that I just have a problem with dead animals. I'm sure dead human beings are just as bad for me, but luckily exposure to those objects are somewhat limited and usually when you do have to confront the corpse its under pretty controlled circumstances dressed up, made as pretty as possible and usually surrounded by a lot of living folk one way or the other. Animals that are dead on the side of the street, packed away in a garageort between the fence slats in the backyard that's another thing altogether.

I'm not sure what the etiology for my fear of things gone is all about. I mean I was raised on a farm more or less there dead things everywhere. One of my jobs was feeding the new calves, the ones we purchase from the auction,in the winter these poor little beasts were kept in the shed. Many times they were sickly when they bought them and many times they died in the shed. I fed them in the mornings for school and their carcasses which stay in the shed till dad was able to cart them out to a place where they would stay until the dead animal guy would come and take my way. Sadly when the temperatures dropped the poor little guys refrozen to the floor and would stay there till spring and I would have to step over the calf popsicles to get to the live beasts to feed them. Or maybe it was my older brother who seem to take great joy in finding dead cats around the farm and chasing me around with their bodies and the eyeless heads frozen in deaths rictus grin. I shudder just thinking of it. Whatever the reason I have almost the phobic reaction to these poor beasts.

We have a number of cupboards and closets in the back of the house on the patio. We keep a lot of our gardening supplies like plant food and bags of fertilizer and stuff. This is where I have my little pot garden – – vegetables I have in pots I guess I should clarify – – and where I keep the plant food that I supplement my tomatoes with every week. It was last week when I first realized there is something in the back of the one set of drawers but I keep the plant food in. Actually not in the drawers but in the space beneath the drawers certain like small closets. One of the doors is open ours off and we have a couple bags of plant stuff additives .  I noticed for the first time last week but look like a tuft of fur. I didn't really pay much attention to it and it was so far back in the closet I thought it was some sort of a jacket or something I got stuffed back there. It's so dark I can't make out hardly anything but on closer inspection when I look I could see there was what looked like a pile of fur. That is when I realized there is something dead, very dead in the back of my potters closet. I was still in denial thinking that maybe it's just some sort of fur-lined garment that was all. But when my son-in-law, Gabe, was over tonight I had Him  check and sure enough There was something or somebody in there. He thinks it may not be a cat all, but a raccoon but that doesn't make it any better dead is dead.So now I don't know what to do. I was hoping Gabe would just scoop up the remains put them in the dumpster But that didn't happen. And I can't blame him for not want to get involved I sure didn't. . So tomorrow I will call animal control and see if they'll come out pick up the remains and get them out of my Pottercabinet . If they won't do such a thing I am not sure what I'm going to do. Either way it's okay The little beast is long dead and on its way to being mummified… I hope.





No comments: