Sunday, June 19, 2016

Reunion


It's over! Smith reunion 2016 is over. It was good to see everyone who came. We pressed a great deal into a short amount of space. We enjoyed ourselves as a family I think most of the time. I think the reunions have gotten quite challenging for a lot of the family who travel great distances to be here and there are many who do. I am impressed especially when we have reunions one year after another that's got taken out but they buck up and show up and we do the reunion thing: eat-in visit, visit and eight and watch the young people play. Sometimes even the old people mix in and play but I feel they probably pay a great price the following morning.

Sadly, the reunions are getting smaller and smaller and I guess to some degree that makes sense. The brothers and sisters desperately seem to be holding this thing together – – before us it was mom Smith was the great director and adhesive force but with her gone we kids have tried to keep the tradition. But I kind of feel it's like CPR to an ailing patient. I've noticed many of the in-laws no longer show up and that's cool I understand and the brothers are begin to drop out to some for distance, some for help and I don't know the other reasons and respect all of them. It would be nice to see them though all the same. This year was kind of strange. We had the traditional meeting at Golden corral for dinner but there were other major events going on with one portion of the family who did not show up. Then the major reunion Saturday. This year we did something we've not done before we had breakfast where everyone gathered eight visited then went their ways until 430 when we had another meal this time a dinner of picnic fare hotdogs, hamburgers and the like and then we all went to my brother's home and sat on the patio and visited some more. Seem like a lot the packing the one day. Traditionally we have had the meal on Friday night and then met during lunch or whatever and had the barbecue in the middle of the day then would be to Carl's later on it was just different and you all know me and change I don't do it well. I cannot believe it I didn't take a single picture this year. Not sure what that means that I didn't. Also interesting is that we did not set a date for the next reunion.


Key players did not make it to the patio discussion indicating they just had to get back to the motel and go to bed. Some folks went to a soccer game which went late in the evening which is okay. It was mainly the brothers and sisters that's all right. No discussion was made to meet up on Sunday morning for a sendoff of any kind everyone to sort of went their ways.who knows when we will meet again? If we will meet again. But it was good to see the folks, the feel part of a herd of that heard once more.

No comments: