Sunday, June 26, 2016

Summer Sunday


There is a ShopKo round the corner from my house – – actually, it's a bit farther than around the corner let's say a couple blocks easily reachable by my power chair. In fact it's kind of on the way my physical therapy place so often when I'm done with therapy I will stop by ShopKo particularly this time year. In the spring they have a large canvas Quonset hut type of content which acts as a greenhouse. They also have all kinds of starter plants i.e. vegetables, fruit, flowers the usual stuff but it's fun to see what they've got and makes you think that maybe you can do something with what they've got. I think I wrote a couple weeks ago about purchasing some tomato plants. I got six of and planted them in the back and sure enough it seems like they have all taken on. I feed them once a week a lot of them daily and they seem to be growing. I've detect the new leaves and that's good sign. Some of the old ways of dying dropping way that bugs me a little bit but I think they're making they've grown a bit and I'm excited.


The other day I think I was on the way home from the dentists when I had my tooth repaired. This time of year the greenhouse is getting pretty hammered their ShopKo. They reduced the plants a third and last time and I think if a person doesn't act fast now they're out of luck till next year. So that in mind I looked at the plants once more and found the small but hopeful looking butternut squash. Butternut's and don't know I've grown them in the past, or we have groaned in the past and it's something I don't know if I can do from a raised garden. It's something almost needs to be in the ground good old terra firma. However, at $.99 a plant that actually had a bit of growth on it I thought why not it's worth the risk. There's probably 8 inches of plant emanating from the small round cup it'd obviously been started in. I thought if I soaked the cup good enough that I would have a day or two figure out where to place it. I actually have a fairly large flowerpot, really large flowerpot, you could actually stick a tree in and it would probably be just fine. I was thinking about it but whatever I did I didn't do it that day and like I said I soaked the cup, I thought fairly well, but when I went back there yesterday morning to check on everyone little Butternut was gone. There are still green left on the stock but I think I was just hoping for the best. I soak the plant and water and just hoped it would take but when I went back later in the afternoon the plant was crisp. I had hoped I was in time but nope I think it was gone I touched the green leaves and they were brittle and crumbled under my touch it was time. I grabbed the plant or what was left of it rolled over and put it in the garbage can. Probably just as well and don't think squash would of done well in the big pot and they didn't really have a way to get it in the ground where we had a plant/squash last year. So I will have to be happy with my tomatoes. I'm a bit worried because they have not yet shown any blossoms or buds for that matter. I'll just have to be patient make sure I have fed and well watered as we go into the heat up of summer.

No comments: