Monday, June 06, 2016

Monday Frustration


Sometimes, I just hate my van. I love the idea that I can take off at a moments notice, if I have a driver, and get the someplace like a dental appointment, a movie, doctors appointment or even a family event but the trade-off is just horrendous sometimes. Today is Brigid's birthday and we all went to breakfast at a nice little place downtown. I got frustrated when we got there because the rug on the floor has come loose and then on my chair tries to back up and gets all bound up in the wheels I don't go anywhere. Then Dianne tries to help get me out and that deteriorates quick for a host of reasons probably foremost my frustration. Luckily, Gabriel was there came out and rescued me. I didn't want to go anywhere in the van after that for fear of further entrapment so I elected to take off and bus/train back home.


I don't know what to do with the van. For just me I would have just done or some other van person The carpet put down a floor which could tolerate the power chairs wheels get this issue behind us. I mean I know, I am not the only person with the power chair who's had this issue and that Justin and company has a solution one way or the other. When I worked for breakaway Incorporated in Boise, I don't know how many years ago, there was a general practice with us to pull put in a flooring was on the corrugated floor of the van lay down a 16gauge sheet of metal usually stainless steel which is about a quarter inch thick. Does a pretty good job as I understand it and you don't lose much space as far as the roof of the van if you don't have a raise top. If you didn't you stainless steel there is always a quarter inch plywood flooring which can be laid down but then you lose that much space in the roof area. Does not sound like a lot but when you're in a chair does make a big difference. I don't know if we would have to put the flooring down all over the back of the van or just over the area that I sit. Gabe suggested putting some sort of adhesive type surfacing which would better catch the wheels of my chair. I'm all for anything but I'm tired of getting caught up in that lousy rug whenever we go anywhere and somehow getting the feeling that I'm to blame. I've even thought of just giving up the van having Dianne get some sort vehicle for herself and then just use public transit or if I need to use Ute/red cab Whenever I need to go somewhere that public transit does not serve are the timing doesn't work out. This sounds expensive but when compared to vehicle maintenance upkeep and registrations think you at least be breakeven. The really is frustrating.

No comments: