Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Out Damned Spot!


 Is probably too good to be true but I was not too bummed out about the fact that a portion of my power chair stopped working yesterday afternoon once I got home from taking my chair in for repairs were they switched out the electric harness which sorts out impulses from my joystick to different segments of my foot box. I actually remained in my chair while the technician worked on my electrical system and I could see how intricate that portion of the chair is and how a lot can go wrong. The technician took great pains to make sure that all the wires and connections and everything else involved was protected as best as he could. Keep in mind however that a person like myself is constantly raising and lowering all aspects of this chair whether it's the foot box, the seat-back, the seating area, and on and on and if not protected correctly a lot of these connections could be cramped and broken and obviously that's what happened on my way home somehow from the wheelchair shop. This could've been a major frustration but was not however  because I knew I could get around my apartment well  enough to get by until  I could saddle up and take the trip back to the wheelchair shop the next morning.

It was on the trip back to the shop this morning that I was quite taken aback am still trying to figure out what exactly happened. Even though I had to go back out to the shop which is really quite a long trip on public transit the day was warm, the sun was out and a perfect day for traveling even with bunged up chair. I was traveling after 9 AM which means that the morning rush, but there is, was passed. The buses are pretty much running empty except for the occasional mother out with the child in the stroller using up the precious wheelchair spaces allocated on public transit. So I was kind of intrigued when the driver brought me on board and got me and my chair secured down in the bus. He then stepped out of the bus and had a bottle of water or softened or something which he poured over his hands, obviously washing them from having touched my chair. Really reminded me of Pontius Pilate washing his hands of the whole Jesus Christ affair – – not that I am implying I'm anywhere near the stature of that individual but still washing your hands after touching me. I thought perhaps I was overreacting but I was still curious so many deposited me at the South Jordan station after I got off the bus I hung around and sure enough he once again went through his procedure of dousing his hands from a water bottle and washing up. Now seriously am I overreacting? Perhaps (givingshed his hands the driver the benefit of the doubt) he himself possibly has the flu or cold or something and was afraid of contaminating me woud not the driver then have washed his hands before coming in contact with me?. Strange behavior indeed, Just saying…

No comments: