Monday, September 30, 2019

Cutco For ever



I hope I am not becoming one of those parents that whine all the time about how their children never visit them or pay them enough attention. I am actually really pretty lucky that way. Shelley calls me probably once or twice a month when she's on the road between workstations and we get to speak for quite a while which is really kind of cool and then Mark Anthony, while he does not come on a regular basis becomes regularly if that makes sense and he always comes if I need direct assistance for immediate assistance. The fact is he's busy and I know that sounds very “cat in the cradle like” but it's true because regular job then he's got his burgeoning little music business which is cool too. However, if two weeks or so goes by that I don't see him then I notice I call him using is something that needs done around my apartment. Yesterday it was to straighten up my CPU which the furnace guys nearly tipped over when they came to replace my filters earlier in the month. I had other things possibly which could of used attention right now but I'm okay.

I have to say two of my kids are entrepreneurs or at least showed signs of entrepreneurship I think mostly of a way to make cash are spendable income. Mark Anthony was in band during school/high school and of course sold candy bars in such and of course his parents who are likely targets. Later on after high school graduation Mark became involved with the Cutco Group, kind of a high-end door-to-door sales program. Cutco, is a high-end cutlery operation. I think if they were famous for anything it would be the Cutco knives and the Cutco guarantee that being when she bought these (in my definition very expensive) utensils they would be sharpened and replaced for the life of that artifact no questions asked. That means if I found the Cutco utensil at a thrift store I could send that utensil `Cutco Central and they would replace it no questions asked. I've never done that but I thought about it quite a bit lately just for something to do. As a budding salesperson you want to support your child in their efforts and so you feel like you must purchase something from their stock of items.

So on the given evening Mark came over, dressed in his salesman outfit, and gave us the presentation which is pretty good. He practiced and it sounded fairly professional for a first time presentation. He then quoted the price for the least expensive items (which I of course was going to purchase) and found the price over $100! It was almost $200 for four steak knives and I think a spatula and a larger knife paring knife or some sort! I was shocked Dianne was not and we purchased the items and I am not sure what ever happened to those knives.

Mark Anthony has asked about those knives every once in a while and seems shocked But I no longer know what happened to those cutting devices. I don't have them and I don't know if Dianne has them. We can get new knives to replace them but we've never done that. I can't think Mark is offended that we didn't treat his knives better. That is why I was kind surprised yesterday when Mark Anthony came over to give me a hand with the CPU and pick up a few things on the floor that he presented me with the famous Cutco shears. I didn't know what to say. I couldn't figure out why he was giving me the scissors. But almost felt like an ancient Asian sword master presenting someone with a highly valued Samurai sword. Accepted the scissors, the felt heavy and valuable and something not parted with easily. I don't know how long Mark Anthony has had these and why he has chosen to bestow them on me. Just out of curiosity I found that Cutco, of course, has its own website now and I could see the cost for these kind of shears was like $177! That's a lot of money for a pair scissors but I will cherish these cutting devices and just maybe they'll return to Mark at some point in time down the line… I am a proud owner…


No comments: