Sunday, January 24, 2021

C B and C Yeah

 



The kind of jumped the gun I know. It's nowhere near March of had this corned beef brisket in my freezer for the past couple of months and not only has it been taking up valuable space in the freezer I've been intrigued with the idea of making some corned beef and cabbage and I just couldn't wait any longer. I took the 3 pound piece of protein out of the freezer Thursday if I remember right but never got around to cooking to cooking it. Truthfully I was just intimidated by the process. But today I figured it was time.


3 pounds of meat is quite a bit. I was going to put the brisket in my crockpot but the more that I examined my crockpot the more I realized it may not be large enough for my project. Now, I have a larger slow cooker but it's all the way on top of my shelving that you only get it down and I've got an able bodyto reach up and the cooker down. I could try to pull it down with one of my long hooks but I'm afraid that I would damage the crock portion of the cooker. I was not discouraged but I was just about ready to put the rest get back into the freezer but I thought I'd called Dianne see she had any ideas. (I had also checked with Google about how to cook brisket with cabbage). I had thought that I had, I am sure I have cooked brisket before but I just can't remember. Dianne suggested I use a pan or one of the pots I have little (which I forgot all about having and would do perfect). Just before I would call Dianne and texted my cross the hall neighbor, Billie to gave me some great ideas as well but most important loaned me the use of her roaster which are just perfect for my needs.


I was a little discouraged because it was getting on to 1 o'clock 1:30 PM even my thought I'd just have to wait another day. As I figured it would take so long to cook and the crockpot, 7 to 8 hours. But Billie and Dianne both assured me that if I went with a roaster the cooking time could be as little as four hours which was totally doable to have this for dinner today. I had a couple interruptions all prepping for the meal but I eventually found my carrots peeled for five of those. I had three or four good-sized potatoes left toolroom sprouting but seems still somewhat viable I got to pealing. I've gotten to this part of the project after I had the brisket cooking for about three hours at least I thought I did. I was using the timer on the stove which I don't really trust that much. But eventually I got the carrots peeled and chopped the say with the potatoes which I ordered and found enough potato to make quite a bit after cutting out all the dark spots and cancer. The kitchen was taken a beating I knew this was going to happen after all I'm cooking.Fortunately I did not have any major mishaps. I did not cut myself I did not spill anything over everything went well.I even was able to throw all the vegetables into the cooking corned beef brisket and shove everything back into the oven.


I'm quite surprised how well everything turned out. I kind of over cooked cabbage that's okay I like that. I pulled the corned beef brisket out to let cool and waited for a half an hour then plated my dinner. I cannot believe how good taste of for me this was delicious even if I say so myself. I'm now in the process of beginning to clean up my mess. I sliced up the brisket then fished out all the vegetables out of the broth. The broth is great and I kind of hate pouring it down the drain but I can't think of anything to do with it I thought maybe in some of the cabbage and have left over in the broth to make time for soup have never heard of corned beef soup. I don't know if that's a thing. I can play around with it but I just think I'm going to dump the juice clean the roaster and get it back to Billie.


It's probably more work than I wanted to do on a Sunday but I'm pleased with my efforts should have enough food product were two or three dinners at the very least almost a month ahead of schedule…

No comments: