Monday, September 17, 2018

Apartment Surgeries

Steve hands attending tending to my wounded to. Steve's hands were steady like a rock.


Once again I am plagued by a little toe slowly driving me crazy… I know short drive but still it's the truth.I noticed the pain starting on Saturday but didn't really pay much attention to the pain after all it was the weekend and I figured if I go a couple days without wearing shoes the little toe will heal on its own. Earlier this summer I ended ripping off nearly the entire toenail on that little toe. I was so concerned with the toenail hanging off the way that it was that I did an emergency run to my podiatrists took me in and trimmed up the trauma site. I kind of figured I wouldn't have to worry about that told anymore. I was hoping he took out the whole nail but apparently not.

One of the many things I am proud of living on my own and before is how I've been able to adapt to various challenges of my disability life. One of those hacks to independence that I've been able to work out as been a leg lifting system out of my sticks. I am able to insert one of the sticks under my foot and with the aid of one of the lifting straps my former wife, Dianne had got me I'm able to lift the flap with the help of the stick up high enough to cross my leg which allows me to not only to smear lotion on my feet and legs but also put on my shoes or my pants or whatever. The trouble is my little toe is on the far side of my foot and I cannot see what is happening there. All I know is that when I try to put my shoes on this weekend I felt pain in my will to and my legs did a dance of their own. Something definitely was wrong.

This morning my foot seemed better in my attendant was here bathing me. I should've had her look at my to when she tried to put into the shoe in my foot had other ideas. Time is short so I did not have a chance to have Dana look at night toe. So, I spent the day with my left shoe on in my right shoe totally off again hoping that my toe with you. By this afternoon, I can tell this is not going to happen and I better do something relatively quick. I thought about contacting my podiatrists but even the best case scenario previously come on down it would take me quite a while to catch one bus and then another to get to his office. Then I remembered in the apartments directly above mine resides one of the few other male occupants of this housing complex, Steve. As near as I can tell Steve is kind of a retired trauma nurse. I figured what the heck and took the elevator upstairs. Steve was there I do that he would be Steve hardly ever ventures out which kind of worries me. To my relief however, Steve was all in for this medical adventure. He didn't have Band-Aids I did so I went back to my apartment and got my stash of Marvel adventure hero Band-Aids. When I got back Steve and transformed his kitchen into an OR. I was impressed. The tip of it seriously. He sanitized the operating area even administered painkiller ointments did some trimming and then customized cuts to the Band-Aids so they would fit perfectly to the wound site. I was impressed his hands were steady no senior jiggling. This guy really knew what he was doing. I thanked him for attending to my foot in turn be more than thanked me for presenting to him a foot in need of medical intervention. I asked him if there's anything I can do for him. I can take his garbage out to the dumpster (Steve really does have some problems ambulating which worries me and I'd be happy to take his garbage out anytime) but he said no. Because indicated that conversation was payment enough. I've learned that Steve is very peculiar about what he ingests even goes to the high-end food markets for shopping. I know anything I would get him if I were trying to shop him but he graciously accepted and probably sent to the food bank is not the dumpster. So I don't try to buy them things. So the best I can do is be a friend and occasionally uses medical background give me by.

No comments: