Sunday, September 23, 2018

Changing Seasons





Finally, clouds and sky! It's not that I have not enjoyed the run of rainless days we've had here along the Wasatch front. The weather person last night was going on and on about how it's been over a hundred or so days since last we enjoyed any precipitation! I don't know how true that is because I know last week I felt a couple of sprinkles but sprinkles did not come from an overcast sky but a few rogue clouds passing by (Boy seems it could there could be a poem in there somewhere). But I have to point we've had very little moisture which is been part of the reason for the huge fires we've been experiencing and continue to experience. However a small cold front is passing through with clouds, more clout than usual actually causing gray skies which apparently offers a promise (perhaps “promise” is too strong a word let's just say a strong hope for changing weather.

It seems wherever I've gone I've always been a good amount of time reading outside in the sun when possible. Usually, at this point in the year people walk past and mumble something like , “enjoying the sun?” And I invariably reply “yup, not being more days like this.” I don't know what to say anymore because deep down kind of frightened that hot summer like afternoons might be the new normal. I can live with this and I will if this is the case but I'm enjoying today's overcast-ness. In fact I wish the clouds were a bit more dense and the temperature lower than today's 85°. Tomorrow should be a bit cooler but following Monday temperatures go back up and again the fall will feel like summer. I want to be forced to stay inside, have enough items in my pantry so I don't have to go out to the market or anywhere else, cook make something delightfully heavy and savory. I collected a number of packets of beef stew, the silver packed envelopes are full of stew. I've got three or four of the packets but if not yet open one up to see what it looks like inside. Doesn't feel too lumpy like if the packet of stew has potatoes, carrots, peas and onions they can't be too big. The first really cold day/cool I'm going to open one up and just see. I think it probably has some basic vegetables but it wouldn't hurt to add some fresh potatoes, carrots and whatever else might make a great beef stew. I'm hoping these envelopes of stew will be similar to the Dint Moore's stew. If so I'll be totally excited. These envelopes of food end up quite regularly on the “Sharing shelf”. I also have collected packets of Chili, chicken cubes in their own juices and beef cubes. If these packets of food are just how good is what they look like I will be in culinary heaven.

I guess I'm a little anxious after all were just maybe today's into the new season believes him a little tree across the way of not even begin to turn and the tomatoes in the community garden are still coming on strong. Maybe I just want an excuse to curl up and watch old movies, eating popcorn and make savory stews and tomato soups of the season…


No comments: