Sunday, September 09, 2018

Weevils!



I just made cornbread. Earlier this week I picked big pot of beans and I've been letting them sit in the refrigerator couple of days but now I'm ready to eat some of these beans and I thought cornbread would go a long with these beans very well, today I am kind of thinking traditional. I have cornmeal which I should've used but I have to packages of corn muffin mix that I literally For years. One box was about five years past the expiration date and the package was only 2 ½ years. I was amazed because after I wrestled the box open I noticed in the top of the package of cornbread mix there is a pinhole barely visible. The thought crossed my mind weevils than I thought “Naa there's no way”. Sure enough when I opened up the paper wrapping the cornmeal and weevils scattered along the top. They were basically husks, long dead. I shook the box out and sure enough there were weevils on every level. I discarded the box of cornmeal posthaste. I opened the sealed package next which I had great hopes for. The ingredients looked okay – there's nothing moving signs of things that happened in the past.

Most everything was in the mix except for an egg and 9 tablespoons of milk and about as much oil. I put the mixed together I end putting in more milk than the directions call for, way more milk but it looked like cornmeal mix when I was done. In case that and have to admit it tastes a little funky but I think survivable. I was so pleased when I opened the oven and the heat escaping did not set off any firearms. I popped in the mix close the oven from the oven light on and waited. At 15 minutes the concoction looked done. I did not want to set off the alarm so I like to delete the cornbread inside until the oven cooled. About 10 minutes later I pulled the cornbread out from somewhere I could snap the cornbread out of the pan. I was kind of surprised at how thin the cornbread was but that's okay. The baking powder active ingredients probably died years ago. I still have some variation of hardtack.

I have the weirdest trait of not accepting something as it is but it's not what I want. I cut a small portion of cornbread from the mother load. I thought the piece in my mouth and got a funny flavor. Not necessarily a bad flavor but not a good flavor either. I try to say to myself, “this is okay, just a little old” a lot old! I have finally accepted the fact that the cornbread is rancid or whatever I think rancid is the cornbread is. If we were in a famine there was nothing else to eat this cornbread would be spurred but not the famine and I'm not going to eat the cornbread. What I might do is dig out my can of corn meal and went off another batch because I got a have beans on Sunday night.

No comments: