Thursday, September 13, 2018

How I Learned to Make Granola



I did not have a picture of Frank Buonocore Jr., but I always thought it looked like Jim Croce so I am using Jim's image--so sue me


One of the most interesting times of my life was a couple of years I spent working in Nampa Idaho working with the low income/minority health clinic. I know it sounds crazy but I was working as a psychological counselor for the health clinic. I moved from Boise to Nampa and was living on my own in a little house on Canyon Street. The Canyon Street house was my first residence living entirely on my own. Looking back on this event I'm still kind of amazed of getting away with this adventure. Granted, I was four years post injury and that's all I was independent (which I definitely was) but still I totally commend my parents for allowing me this challenge.

Anyway, I was happy as a clam and my little house (which was converted from the garage there was an upstairs and downstairs and I lived on both levels – – I really was incredible). The house of course had a small kitchen, shower and front room. The second story of the house was one huge room. I had a bad in one section of the rest of the upstairs was open. The really was lots of room. In the spring of the year I worked with the clinic systems Terry Riley, the clinic director, pulled everyone together to announce that the clinics were going to be the recipient for a number of VISTAs. Volunteers In – Service To America, the anti-poverty program conceived by John F. Kennedy and enacted by Lyndon Johnson as part of the great Society program. The clinic received four VISTA s and two ended up living at my house. Frank Buonocore Jr., was one of these volunteers. Frank was someone unlike anyone I've ever met. Frank was the sound of a federal judge in Boston and they seem somewhat estranged or at least Frank was. I remember his father sent him $500 for his birthday Frank sent the money back! I wish I had an image of Frank. The closest image I can imagine is Jim Croce and what I've used for the image on this blog. Funny though this blog is not about Frank as much is is about granola. Frank made his own granola. I barely knew about granola and even less about making granola. Frank used rolled oats, coconut shredded, raisins, almonds and I think corn syrup. Frank mixed everything together and baked and it turned into breakfast cereal which was great. Frank also taught me (Frank did not really teach me I just watched him cook) up to make chicken and rice which I ended up blending together for a dish called Frank but that's material for another blog.

Frank Buonocore was a man of few words. I doubt that he actually liked as much is endured me and lived at my house. Use the kind of guy that carried contour maps of Idaho and spends his weekends hiking and being alone. He suffered fools poorly and would loved to live at Walden's Pond which I think he did in his own mind. I don't think these guys really even noticed me or the fact they were billeted at my house. They were there because the good Dr. McIntyre said that's where they need to be and they were. These VISTAs were the coolest people I ever had close association with. They're all graduates of real universities back East and were dodging the war and civilization in general until they got into the next part of their lives. I'm just glad they stopped by my house along the way.

No comments: