Saturday, September 22, 2018

inclusion




I must say I was more than a little pleased when I got an email from Claire, my former employer when I worked for the state advising me that yet another former employer at the state was in town with her and were having lunch at one of the old restaurants be used to frequent and would like me to attend.Allison was the executive director for Gov.'s Council for people with disabilities now, two directors back. I believe somewhere in the blog I've written about Allison, not a lot but I have acknowledged her existence. She was a good boss and after Allison there was Claire. Claire was a great but it's which I know I've written about and someone I owe a great deal to for figuring out a way for me to continue my work at the State till I can reach is full of retirement.

There were other players at the lunch as well Lucy which is Claire's wife and then Deborah, Deborah was on the board of the Council and I guess she still is and a good friend of everybody else at the luncheon. We had lunch the Rio Grande restaurant downtown Salt Lake. The restaurant is in the old Rio Grande train station ergo the name. The area used to be somewhat commercial especially the train station was active but the area has fallen into disarray but is trying to be “bootstrapped” to a new life. However area is infested with transients and homeless folk. The needle exchange and many support service programs for these folks is in this area. I can actually say the places actually gotten worse since I left the office. Area used to be kind of rough but now it's very rough. I never used to worry about riding my chair in this area and this time I did .

I forget how much I enjoy the Rio Grande restaurant. It's a little upscale for my tastes but always have enjoyed the facility. We ate outside, a mistake, we're deluged with flies. However the company was great. Claire and I visited a lot I felt a little bad because I did not get a chance to spend time with Dr. Lozano Lucy. But soon it was time to and the lunch. Hopefully, we'll get back together shortly before the doctor leaves town later this month. I didn't necessarily want to take any food home because it's so awkward. I'd only about half of my lunch and I felt guilty for leaving it there on my plate. I elected to take my leftovers home even though it was awkward. On top of that Deborah forgot her take-home bag and that was foisted on me too . They put both lunches a plastic bag and off I went.

On Redwood Road I was waiting for the 217 to finish my trip home. A spooky looking fellow came up and sat next to me under the canopy. I tried not to make contact but that was in vain. He had a story to tell and he wanted me to hear it. This guy was not homeless but he is close. He's an ex-con and had his hardluck story but he wasn't as beautiful as most and I really did not feel that this ex-con was trying to use me. I kind of took pity on the guy then remembered my Rio Grande Café take-home and offered it to the guy. We were already on the bus heading north at that time but the guide gladly accepted my offering. I felt guilty because Claire really wanted meto have Deborah's leftovers. There wasn't much left in my container but enough to make a bite two, Deb's I don't know. Either way the fella got something. I really enjoy being included with my old group. I look forward to the launch will have soon before Dr. Lozano leaves. If I'm really lucky I'll have enough left over for another traveler on the bus.

No comments: