Sunday, September 02, 2018

What Me Art?



I've done it again! I got occupied with my summer to the point that I neglected to make contact with those at the community college down the street to assure that I got into an art class this semester. I looked up and it was September 1 and realized kids were already in class. I mentioned in Friday's post that had been on campus and all the campus Activities were in full bloom. Basically, the time had passed that I could enroll in classes for the fall semester. I'm sure if I raised a stink and worked hard enough I could wedge myself into a beginning drawing class somewhere. I'm just not up for that at this point in time. I wanted to be easier for some reason may be that is why I'm not an artist. It's not like I'm giving up drawing, coloring and having fun with paper I guess I'm just not going to do that under a learning format.

One of my close friends Lori is someone I consider an artist/writer and she's quite a force in the disability community around Salt Lake. She's on number of boards and programs which serve and support people with disabilities. I have outlined some of these over the years of my blog. Perhaps the most meaningful I have been involved with a the Second West Acting Company, a real acting company we put together sponsored through Are Access of Utah, Utah are all Very Special Arts (VSA). Lori has been associated with this program for decades and by association with Lori so by I. Anyway, Lori is always thinking and thinking of ways to assist other folks in achieving their creative dreams.

VSA has a program Partners Artist Mentoring which is the name implies partners a person the disability with a real-life artist for a year afterwards they exhibit the results in a showing. Lori submitted by name and some of my work and now I've been asked to apply to be considered in this project. Boy, this would be as good as if not better than a class at the college. An opportunity like this is a bit intimidating because they will expect results. It is one thing to sketch and draw for fun, quite another to be expected to produce and grow and become better at what you do. I would really like to be considered favorably and have a shot at the end part of this program.

I've not really seen a copy of the project prospectus or what is considered of the participants. I would assume it would be working on a drawing that having that production adjudicated for ability and input as to what can make our increase skills with the individual. This of course is mentoring, one-on-one, I doubt there would be any way to bluff my way through this kind of project. This is totally a win-win project for me. I get to be exposed to a real life professional, someone who makes their living off of their skills and art and have that person guiding me on some of the possible abilities that I have and make me better at what I do. The only drawback I see is that I might get good to the point that I can't get by on my sloppy outlet anymore. I would have to work at my art rather than just play around.

No comments: