Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Art Brut



At this moment I don't know what I like better, my burros of the Apocalypse concept or the whole idea of portraits. I mean it's not like I can try anything really but the attempts I do at putting marks on paper amazes me. I like the work that I do but then again I like everything that I do pretty much. But other folks seem to like my work as well. I mean I'm still somewhat conscious or slow to believe they really do but there's just enough validity in their remarks and actions to make me want to believe them. My friend from the Netherlands, Elske Berndes, who actually is an artist and illustrator as well as an educator at the college level has seen something in my work. Elske has directed me to a number of European artists whose work mine kind of resembles. I checked them out and sure enough there is something there. In fact there is a whole genre of art that characterizes the style I seem to draw in.

Art brut is a French term that translates as 'raw art', invented by the French artist Jean Dubuffet to describe art such as graffiti or naïve art which is made outside the academic tradition of fine art. Jean Dubuffe taken from Tate.org  from the INTERNET.

Raw art is truly what I do, I do not dispute that in the least. But there is something in the back of my mind, once again, wondering if this is just something categorizing those folks who either cannot do art or are too lazy to do art that art which is not raw. Whatever, this is reinforcing the not to me to keep me making marks on paper or anywhere else I can get away marking. This Jean Dubuffe guy is pretty interesting and there is something about his art that draws me in. There's other folks much like him and they're all French are from the Netherlands it seems. I don't know how easy it is to get books by these guys are about these guys later how much I want to chase this particular group is kind of fun to be identified with something. Perhaps the best consequence from this revelation is the reinforcement factor. Just knowing I can do work that is somewhat representative of something else pushes me to do more with the mediums I'm playing with especially with some of the colors.I also like the way it makes my apartment appear. Even the attempts at art I do looks like art and makes feel cool and want wear a beret or something with elbow patches and speak french.

My regular Tuesday morning meeting was canceled. I must admit I was a little pleased not that I didn't want to get dressed and head in to the city as much as I want to stay in my apartment and enjoy the feeling of fall which is beginning to envelop this whole area. If there was a seasonal hang time this would be it. The summer is continuing to pack her bags and I get the impression that Autumn is standing at the edge of the curtain with her paintbrushes, blustery days and ever longer nights tapping her foot an patiently waiting to take the stage.

No comments: