Wednesday, July 08, 2020

Bananarama Dingdong



I hate change, you all know that, I've bitched enough about it. But as you also know changes the only constant. Good better or in different my market on the corner from my apartment complex was a Fresh Market in the last five months this market has been going through a change. Is been purchased by Macy's not the big department store but I think the small family local chain. I'm not sure but they seem to be a step higher than Fresh Market I don't know if that's good or bad. I'm sure it's open season for raising prices on everything but that's just the conservative in me talking and I'm sure. So all spring and summer I've been watching this market bootstrap itself into looking more like high-end groceries.

They put in new frozen isles with really nice doors, These doors are large and wide but they don't lock open like the others did. This is sort of inconvenient for me anyway. I had to stop somebody to hand-me-down and item that was up quite high in the frozen section plus we also had to have me something else because the door would not lock openThat sure looks nice though. And of course they moved everything around them slowly getting the new way of the store down pretty decently. Everything looks suspiciously the same except for a few differences the pharmacies in a different place I suppose easier for consumers to get to and out of quickly. The new pharmacy is much closer to the doors. The deli counter disappeared but then returned It's different now by don't know how that's okay I don't use it much anyway.

The produce is mainly the same except one small thing actually and I'm not trying to make it a big deal but the more that I think about it marks really didn't irritate me. The best parts about this market I've enjoyed is the fruit section and particularlytheir bananas which seem to be forever on $.59 a pound. I've been making a priority in my life to have a banana at least once a day. Today I was greeted with what looked like a scene from Close Encounters Of A third Kind
where the bananas used to be piled Where I could easily reach in and dig out a bunch of green bananas that I could take home and what ripen all week, there was a inverted something that looked like the mothership from said movie but it was decorated with bananas. No longer was the boxes of green bananas available all you had what was available but was hanging on the inversion banana monstrosity. I just sat there and gaped with my mouth open to one of the guys that work in that section asked me if I need a hand. For nothing else better to say I asked him if they are planning to leave this banana in thing for the rest of time and all eternity and he said yes. You could see I was dismayed and he was quite familiar with my asked if he could get me some selected green bananas from the back, I said yes. Seriously, one more thing in the progress of gentrification making this store non-accessible release the banana section non-accessible to people were short and use wheelchairs for mobility just makes you want to grind my teeth. I guess I can make some complaints to management but I don't think it will make any difference their goal is to look trendy. I get the impression that don't want to seniors and disabled shopping at their store through shooting for the young upper-class shopper is slowly going to take over this neighborhood one street of the time…


No comments: