Thursday, July 30, 2020

Screen Door


Remember, way back in June? June 4 to be explicit I wrote about how I had the boys come over from Utah assistive technology and put loops on my screen door to assist with opening and closing the device. This is the first year of really gotten into using my patio as much as I can which means if I'm going to keep the insect world out as well as felinesI'm going to have to keep my screen door shut when inside or outside and I've been doing that. I really do enjoy having the door to the patio open it gives me the illusion of having a much bigger apartment. I enjoy the ability to have my door open all the time night and day. During the day I enjoy the extra light which comes in my front room and at night I'm comfortable with the door open wide as the world slips by the darkness. The flies and mosquitoes kept out as well as any other intruders with four legs. Granted, I'm still at risk for the two legate kind but that hasn't been an issue yet.


I don't know if this is the problem but, I noticed that once I started using the loops to open the sliding screen door I noticed putting a different kind of tension on the door. Rather than just pushing the door back and forth on the runner through the groove I'm actually polling slightly on the door or maybe a bit more than slightly but polling just the same. Probably within two weeks I noticed that the door was hanging up when I was trying to slide it back and forth I would actually have to once the door was kind of open slide it back and forth with my hand on the edge of the door pushing or pulling the door straight as I can. Then last week the whole door came out of the runners and fell over onto the patio. The first time is able to get Ted are beaten sky to pick it up and put it back on the runners and that was fine but within a couple days the door and come out again. This time (this was over the weekend the holiday weekend) I was able to use one of my sticks with the hook to actually pull the screen door upright and kind of back on the runners. I actually listed my neighbor José, who is a great little nonspeaking English neighbor who is able to figure out what I needed and put the screen door back in place. I slid the door home decided just leave it that way for the rest of the weekend. However on Tuesday of this week I tried to move the screen door back and the whole thing fell over again and it was not until yesterday that I was able to get Ted to respond to my needs. In the meantime I've been thinking of other options maybe a brand-new screen door or maybe new runners can be put down, I don't know how difficult task that would be but it's possible, I even looked at the idea of possibly putting in a traditional screen door that operates on hinges. The more thought about this the more I think this might be a possible solution. I brought this up yesterday at the administrative coffee hour they always have in the morning upfront beforeThey each tackle their day in their own way. Ted finally came over yesterday and I showed him the screen door and Ted reached down picked up the screen door and looked it over and pretty much acknowledged it was a goner. I still figured he was going to slide it back in its runners and tell me to use it and tell you can get a replacement. I shared with them some of my ideas as far as the screen door on hinges goes that he thought that was a good idea, of course making me feel good. Then he indicated he was going to check into, or ever he checks in the things, and assuming what he could do with that he picked the screen door up and walked out of the apartment. I know there are couple apartments that do not have people in them right now source, figuring he was heading out to go get one of those screen doors or he was not go tweak on the fallen door to make it a bit more reliable. His solution was obviously none of these. This all is happening around 4 PM. I have not seen Ted on my screen door sense. Others think about see him this morning and visit with him before I went into the coffee social but I didn't see him and there is nobody else around I could visit with about this issue. It's really not a big deal. I can live with the screen door gone. I just have to shut the door at night which I hate to do it really does make me feel claustrophobic. I don't know why it does not in the wintertime but during the summer I like feeling I have access to the great outdoors and possible cross ventilation…


No comments: