Monday, July 20, 2020

Sloucher



I'm not a sloucher you know that pejorative term for someone who sits back in the chair unevenly and basically slouches. The term does not have a good reputation but sadly I am a sloucher not because I want to but because the decay of my mortal body. Well, besides decay maybe I should be honest and say obesity has a handedness as well and that's on me. It took me a long time to even accept that I was becoming a sloucher in the physical therapy trade I think the term is sacral sitting: that phenomenon where the individual tends to slide forward in his chair causing that person to sit on their lower spine rather than their buttocks. Remember a number of years ago that fiasco when I was brokenhearted when I ordered a new manual chair in hopes of pushing myself more literally. I wanted chair exactly like the chair I had been using which was quite old itself and had been ordered for me at another point in my life. When the chair came the seat was elongated. The chair was huge and I could never see how I could use the chair and of course the salespeople refuse to take it back or do anything with it. I was stuck with the chair that I never used. I don't know how I could've pushed the chair the long tried to live in it. As I look back on that day now with my propensity to sacral set maybe they are correct with the call but I would never use the chair still, I couldn't.

I still have a manual wheelchair that I probably should be using especially now that I have the tile on the floor in the apartment. It is the long time since I sat in that manual chair. I don't know how much progression my sacral sitting has become. I know in my power chair I'm always sliding forward in the chair and having to actually stop what I'm doing and took my chair back and have gravity pull me back into the seat.I have a fairly decent seatbelt in my power chair but I have to get some work done because the chairs way to slack. I still have an issue if it strapped me into tightly. So obviously my spine as part of the problem. Another part of the problem is my belly, there I said it. I think my Billy is gotten so large that is pulling me forwarded my chair and causing me to slouch. I resolved the issue by succumbing to the reality that there's nothing I can do really. I have to live with the fact that overweight spinal cord injured old guy. I continue to watch my calories as good as I can. I try to limit treats and meal quantities. I'm not bitter cry about not having great and wonderful food and is much as I want to make it sound like I'm deprived because I'm not! My life is so good I can barely stand it. I have to severely watch my diet but even then I think I'm still putting on the weight. I used to weigh myself every day, then every week and now it's been a month since I weighed myself the results are too painful for me to accept. This morning I was lying in bed thinking about the fact that I'm 70 years old this coming February which means like I'm old as the dirt. Then I thought I'm pretty fine and 69. I really need to make the best out of the rest of the 69 year I have. I guess what I'm saying as well though I'm 70 years old next February my days on the dirt ball are becoming fewer and fewer matter how lucky I am. And I'm pretty damn lucky but if I don't be more careful when I wake up dead and be astounded…

No comments: