Saturday, July 11, 2020

Milk Run





I don't know if you can read this or not but it's notification on my food bank door indicating they will be closed until or about 27 July! This is not going like freak me out or anything that's not like I rely on the food bank except for another form of socialization and sometimes getting some interesting items to consume.

It's hot now, dangerously hot for others and I guess for me too if I was not careful. It's not that I'm overly careful out in the sun, I'm just not out in the sun was nowhere to go aside from grocery shopping which falls under essential except for me which is more shopping is recreational. A couple of weeks ago I realized that my milk supply was getting low. I got hooked on these boxes of milk that used to come in the People's food boxes (a number of people here get food boxes from the food bank once a month and all the boxes have large cartons of milk which the people don't want and they give away on the sharing shelf). They are either not packing milk like they used to our folks are getting wise and either keeping them up themselves are getting it to other people who might want it all I know is I'm not getting it like I used to. The milk is great, I may have even written about it before I'm too lazy to go check, the liquid is hermetically sealed and has a shelf life of six months or so probably longer but to be safe. This stuff is ideal for camping packing to work lunch are school lunch for those at college in such. It's a great idea I cannot believe it's not offered in grocery stores around here. The milk I get comes in quart sizes And handily stores in the refrigerator. The milk has a great flavor and lasts a long time in the fridge. I've only recently started purchasing the product. I would get enough from people getting rid of their milk that would carry me through the month but not any longer. I the dollar a box it's a deal. When I could not find the product anywhere in the Valley here I went to the Internet and did find the product there but at three or four dollars more than the cost is through the Family Dollar. Also, I can get 2% plus whole milk plus the usual 1% that we get from the food bank. I got five boxes I'm set for a while.

I've learned that it's not wise to rely on milk from the food bank on Saturday mornings. First it is catch as catch can some days is milk other days there is not. On those days that there is milk you have to move quick. The only reason the milk is at the food bank is because it's fastest expiration date. Too often I've gone to use the milk the next day and the milk is gone bad. But I'm really digressing. This morning I found a crate to put on my lap to put my hall in from the food bank. When I came around the corner I noticed the backend of the building was not open as usual – – this is where the produce section of the food bank is. I got to the front door and it was covered with these pink notifications. Someone in the food bank staff has tested positive for corona. Food bank will be closed for at least 14 days targeting the 27th as the opening date. That's okay I've got everything I need especially milk. I don't rely on the food bank other than a word form socialization and gratification for getting a deal. However not today and not next week either.I'm just worried about those folks who really do need what little food they can get from the food bank/pantry…



No comments: