Wednesday, July 01, 2020

Letting Go… Or Not!




I have a difficult time letting things go. I think I've talked about holding on to pieces of clothing that I really like until the clothes are basically rags. I have to watch myself closely all right I do this with everything. Even now I feel terribly sorry for who has to clean up whatever I leave behind when I pass. There'll be all kinds of pieces of writing Plus other physical things that I've just held onto for no good reason. This is particularly true with tools those pieces of equipment I use on a daily basis to get by everything from steel to sticks. I sometimes think that my sticks have souls of Their Own and it's hard for me to get rid of them. So, I just keep repairing them until finally there's so little left I just throw it away. I know these are inanimate objects but they're just so personable to me I think I have a problem.


I really enjoyed cooking and I don't know if it's the product I am cooking or if it's the process of preparing the item I'm cooking. This is really kind of strange for a Tetra or quadriplegic. Somebody with limited hand function enjoying something that takes oh, really, a lot of hand function. Over the years I've developed a couple of techniques which has allowed me to process pieces of food and I've enjoyed that even more importantly I have found and Diane has found tools that really let me enjoy the food preparation process. Perhaps my favorite tool in food preparation is the rocker knife. I've had a couple over the years. Diana's found me some really nice rocker knives cuz I really now would be lost if I did not have access to these. I frequent oh, well not as much as I'd like to, a couple of cooking stores that have all kinds of utensils and they have huge rocker knives. I think these knives are used in preparation of bread dough as well.as processing larger pieces of meat. I'm going to get one of these large rocker knives someday just to have. The image I have at the top of this posting is one of my favorite rocker knives which I've had for about 20 some years. Perhaps even longer I don't know when Diane got me this knife but I use it for just about anything or everything when it comes to heavy duty cutting. I have a couple of other smaller rocker knives that really help on smaller things like cutting up my burritos, dinner Meats and such but when I really have to do hardcore cutting like a pizza and I found recently watermelon I use this knife. The trouble is, as you can tell, is that this rocker knife has sort of falling apart. Over the years the wooden handles have essentially rotted away where are the handle hooks onto the knife. The first handle go off a couple of years ago and I kept putting it back on the blade as best as I could tell finally the handle kind of disintegrated. However, that was okay I can still use the rocker knife with the other handle in place. Recently however the other handle has started coming off to the point where unless I do something significant soon I will not be able to continue to use this very important kitchen tool. I thought about speaking with my brother, Carl, I think just about do anyting and have him turn a couple of pieces to be used for a handle and that way be able to keep the peace. But really you know what I need to do is just let the blade go and get a brand new rocker knife. This would make the most sense but something deep inside says at night is an old friend and you try to keep the old friend around as long as you can. So, forget the way and maybe I'll give my brother a call see if he can turn me a piece tour couple of pieces to help an old friend who another cutting season of watermelon who knows what else...

No comments: