Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Free Ride



Everything is different now due to the virus. Everything except hostility towards people with disabilities. I know this is a generalized comment which may or may not be accurate but I'm certainly getting some feelings in that direction. I haven't had some of these feelings for 20 or 30 years.

So far this is been extremely dry summer no rain whatsoever, that is until today in Salt Lake County, the only day I have to be out on the transit system and it rains. The goodness it was not torrential, though we need probably torrential rain, there is enough rain to be uncomfortable even though I took a hoodie with me. I also make sure that I have my Covid mask as well. I don't want to go anywhere without the Covid mask. This was the first time I had ridden the bus this week. Last week I wrote the bus was confronted with an angry bus driver. He is not necessarily angry at me, I don't think, as much as he was angry at the situation the world was in and he in particular being an essential worker. Even if he did not direct his anger at specifically me it was my kind, people who use wheelchairs, that was making him get close and personal with the likes of another person in this case me. By law I have to be strapped into the bus. I don't necessarily like this law. If I had my druthers I would not be locked down at all. I'd be happy to take my chances. I often and always maintain that if a catastrophe hit the bus lockdown power chair is only going to save the power chair not necessarily the person riding. I did not point out to the driver that this Covid thing works both ways how does he know he's not the carrier? It would be just my luck to have a driver who is infected leaning over all around me secured me to the vehicle.

As I alluded to in the introduction these feelings of angst towards myself and not new by any means. 20 or 30 years ago after coming to this area, I was transportation coordinator for the independent living Center here in Salt Lake. It was my job to “help” UTA make it more accessible bus system. To do this I stopped buses on my bus route, this was before the buses have lifts – – or actually they did have lifts but the drivers did not want to use them because it would take too long – – if the driver would not use the lift on the bus or the busted not have a left eye proceeded to crawl onto the vehicle and dad and beg someone to bring the chair up after me. At first the drivers hated me I really messed up their time frames. You just have to suck it up driver that's the law and I'm coming aboard where you like it or not or you're going to hear from the administration. I'm getting those feelings again every time I board the bus, will not every time there's a lot of good drivers out there who care about their job who care about their people and just want to give the best drive possible. I have got a lot of things on my mind these days they don't need any more stress than I already have. One thing I have noticed every time I board the bus, since somehow I've lost my bus pass, I go to pay my bus fare and the driver puts his hand over the farebox says not today. I don't know what this is about a kind of tickets of the do with the epidemic but I'm not sure but I still want to get a replacement pass as soon as I can so there's no such thing as a free ride…

No comments: