Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Down The Rabbit Hole



You know how easy it is to start searching for one thing, on the Internet and then suddenly you slipped down the rabbit hole and who knows when if ever you will resurface. That happened to me is afternoon. I was going to write the blog today on a place I used to stop or rather my mother used to stop on the way home from Borah high school after my accident. Those were close readers of this blog will remember that because of all the stairs at Boise high supposed to go school district in their infinite wisdom thought I should go to Borah high. I was trying to find an image of this little fast food restaurant/hamburger joint owned by a guy named Bud Sims. I'm just beside myself because I searched and searched and not only could I not find a reference for Bud's Frost Top I could not find a reference for Bud who was not only where my Sunday school teachers growing up but he was also the sheriff of Ada County Sheriff Department. I could not find a single reference which is really weird if you ask me.

Not trying to pat myself on the back too much but I'm pretty good at researching materials on the Internet, of course not as good as some but I'm pretty clever. I couldn't find anything and I was getting pretty frustrated than I remembered I have an image of myself standing in the parking lot of my old church on Broadway Avenue, not far from where I had my accident. What's interesting is that in the far corner of the image just behind Larry Greens convertible you can barely make out the fast food joint of Bud's frost top. I'm sorry that's the best I can do but with the kid is just adorable. . Dropping hints about how hungry I was as we dropped off the bench came up Boise Avenue. We would have to stop for the light right at the intersection and the frost top be right on the right. Sometimes my mother would cave in (I think this is when she started on her Dr Pepper phase and perhaps it was a justification to treat herself to a Dr Pepper by purchasing me a corn dog. That would've been around 1967 or 68 and he didn't have frozen corn dogs yet so the dog I would get would be hand dipped in deep-fried and the corndog was excellent. I always ordered mustard on the side and they drenched the corndog like I said was excellent. If you have something that needs mustard more mustard never hurts.

If one does not watch oneself literally hours can evaporate while trying to find something on the Internet. I am still at a quandary at why I cannot find any reference to Sheriff Bud Sims or his fast food restaurant let alone an image. Interestingly, the restaurant Frost Top actually surfaced in the last couple of days. People on one of those websites for the town's history, Boise history actually were talking about the restaurant industry something in the air. Whatever's in the air however is not enough to kick up any mention of Buds Frost Top…


No comments: