Thursday, July 23, 2020

Boys of Summer and Stinky Fish




Televised baseball starts tonight and normally I could care less and normally I would not devote time and space to be writing about major-league baseball but this is the pandemic in the new way and everything's different.

It's not that I hate the sport I don't, I just do not have the patience to watch a game that drags on for hours literally. I think a lot of people attest my indifference to the sport is not plain dislike to the fact that I'm a disable individual but that's not the case at all. When I is able-bodied I was pretty much forced to play the game because all my peers played the game when school got out whether it was Little League when I was very small probably starting around the third grade or so to playing right before high school. Our junior high school did not necessarily have a team but we still played in the summer some form of organized baseball. However my then the game was becoming way to competitive in the friends that I had sacrificed my summers for were growing apart for me and so they went their way and I wouldn't mind. That's just not baseball fishing is another issue. I was speaking with the folks today at coffee and of course today be in the eve of a major state holiday means a lot of people are either going fishing or reveling in past fishing experiences. Since I'm the only male that traditionally attends this copy group I have to endure stories about the kids fishing. Some are just must be the time for boring events or maybe just because they're free in many cases. Fishing my parents loved fishing as my brothers and sisters probably did to I could barely stand the time that we would group is a family stuff the car or truck or whatever with gear, coolers stuffed with sandwiches fruit and whatever else mom thought we needed as well as the big thermos jug of iced Kool-Aid or whatever knockoff was cheapest. It's not like we ever had real pop of any kind police that I remember. Then we had to drive for what seemed like hours till we got to a spot that theoretically had “potential”.

Fishing equipment is inherently stinky usually because it housed dead fish at one time or another and we all know about dead fish and stink. I would be given a fishing pole when I was very young it would be baited for me and I would trudge down to the water and throw the line in as far as I could more than once I actually threw pole away. I did this at division them or diversion dam whatever. You think my folks would've learned. I just couldn't figure out why he would be entertaining to throw worms in the water to see officially the and then pull the fish in, wet, slimy, active stinky beasts but you still had to cut their guts out and scale, chop the heads off and then have to eat at some point in time. Sadly if not luckily we didn't catch a lot of fish at least I did not. All I knew is that efficient adventure was lost time for however long it would be not only an travel to and from that time during that was lost time but I guess it was better than staying home from throwing hay on the rack.

Tonight is baseball. Two teams play each other in an empty stadium because the pandemic. The American people is so selfish they're willing to make these people play baseball in a dangerous situation just fulfill their shallow needs for summer recreation/entertainment. I might even watch maybe if I can find the event for free somewhere. I'm sure between Amazon prime and Netflix someone is trying to make money on the game. So I'm not watching the game per se as much as I'm watching how the game is going to be televised, what the color folks are going to say about the game itself and how they going to do that in empty stadium. I'll be interested see what kind of numbers to tune in and if this will slack the thirst for the boys of summer…

No comments: