Thursday, July 16, 2020

Sitting Pretty



I was speaking with a friend of mine who owns a home health agency, actually the owner of the agency that provides my home health attendance. He was at my apartment the other day providing services to me because my regular person unexpectedly quit the agency. Anyway, we were speaking and somehow we got around to people at risk with the Covid virus. Of course, everyone's at risk but there are those that are more risk than others and people were seniors and people with disabilities are double whammy and of course I'm that person and there's a target on the back of my head. Having said that, I understand I need to be carefully understand that I need to wear my mask one about and I understand that the smartest thing is not to go out but to stay inside, at my apartment for however long this break outlasts. I've been good actually. I have amazed myself at how long I stayed at the apartment and I'm willing to stay longer but sometimes I just have to head out.

For a number of weeks I've been toying with the idea that I need more sticks to fashion hooks and helping devices. I'm not trying to get these devices out to other people I just want to have more reaching and gathering capability. Actually I just want to feel like I'm creating something again. I've been really pressed with the dowels that I found it Lowes last year. I miss actually working down a piece of wood into a hook or whatever. I am glad that I found dowels especially the 0.625” x 72” dowels. They're perfect, not only ability to be a pretty good hook but they make a great reacher and bed making device. I know that sounds strange and I'm kind of still amazed that I figured this out but it really helps in moving the pillows, sheets and blankets around on the bed and fashioning them into neatness at least acceptable for me. The 72 inch reach is incredible. I reached things all over the apartment especially the upper shelves were the best tricks I found is that I can lie in bed and reach the switch for the overhead light. I discovered this last winter when the lightbulb exploded over my bed. You can do a lot with 72 inches in length. I have fashioned the material I use for gripping and holding. The dowel which is 72 inches is lined not get strong enough that I can use it to lift my legs up over my other leg when I dress. The 72 at dowels perfect for my needs. I bought a couple last time I went to Lowe's. One I cut into smaller lengths which worked pretty good run needs the other I just kept at the 72 inches. The last couple weeks like I said I've become aware that I need to have more dowels. My brother was over the other day and I almost asked him if he would consider dropping by the store and picking up some but he's so busy I just couldn't bring myself to ask. I learned my lesson when I tried to incorporate the task of purchasing these dowels to my home health person on that before she vanished. She just couldn't figure it out. Like everything else it's best to do it yourself and today I did that. I can't believe I've drug my feet this long. But, I got to the bus stop jump the bus built with a grumpy bus driver and got myself dropped off at Lowe's store. I found I needed and got myself back to the bus stop in time for the next bus outbound and took me home.

72 inches of course is 6 feet and the sticks are at a slant as I hold them over my shoulder so I am well within the ability to ride the bus home. I still might ask my brother to pick up more sticks at a future time but right now I'm sitting pretty…

No comments: