Monday, July 06, 2020

Robo Calling



This is my senior center, I guess it's my senior center, I don't know what else to call it. As the senior center that's right across the street from the front door of my apartment complex here in Taylorsville Utah.Taylorsville senior center not much different A is not much different than the Murray Senior Center the first senior center but I tried to become involved with after retiring. I'm sure there's a number of blogs regarding my involvement with that senior center. Anyway, this center isn't much different. A great idea which has fallen short all it could be. A senior center that is just a quasi-government agency ran by quasi-government people giving out Quasi-services which in general people do not want-At least I do not want the services and always disheartened me when I go in the building for any other reason than for the senior center.

I'm not sure if this post is about senior centers or Robo calls or the far reaches of the Covid crisis. Of course since March our senior center, here in Taylorsville, has been shut down. I suspect there's a skeleton crew of staff that continue to work behind the locked doors. I see vehicles out the parking lot. But because of social distancing particularly how important quarantine/isolation is for seniors the senior centers across the state have been closed. What's interesting to me however and albeit, a bit frustrating is the fact that at least once a week (and it seems a whole lot more) I get a Robo call. The computer generated voice asking me if everything is okay. Like it cares. And is not a real big deal and I suppose it's a good deal because I think there are people who really respond to such impersonal contacts but not me. The recording goes through its spiel, it's the voice of the director of the local senior center indicating their reaching out and making contact with the names on the membership of the senior center. The best part is the end where it says if anyone needs any assistance or help to call the number listed which is a great idea! I'm sure the number actually works and if somebody really really really needed assistance they would get something. However for me, whether I'm strapped up in my Velcro gloves and attached to my arm bike or if I'm in the middle of making a salad or dinner and I break what I'm doing in a mad dash to answer the phone I'm greeted by the Robo voice. This just Freaks me out. It's a good thing that the Robo call as if it was a human being on the other end of the phone of yellow at the time. And the Covid 19 call from the senior center Is basically to gather information. And now that I'm thinking about it the Covid 19 the call might actually just come from the county, which is the same as the senior center but different.

The phone starts making its noise, it doesn't jingle anymore I've installed the least offensive ring tone I could find, and then if I am lucky enough, and break what I'm doing, and that's of the phone I get so burned up and frustrated to find this is not a real call. If the messages on my cell phone I just delete it if it's an actual RoboCop call I just exit the calls quickly as I can wish I could reach around and unplug the mainline system that gives this silly little program life. Somewhere in animation land there's a little Robo character whose job it is Make contact with seniors. It's probably cute little beast like Wally but is definitely of irritation. I'll just wait till the movie comes out to see how much or how adorable little Robo is oh wait a minute that means I would first have to go to a theater house that's actually openI don't think that's good to be for some time…

No comments: